* emacsclient misbehaves
@ 2008-01-30 21:39 Han Boetes
From: Han Boetes @ 2008-01-30 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I found this bug which started occuring about a few month ago.

I used this command to start editing a file on the correct line:

emacsclient --eval "(progn (find-file \"$PWD/Pkgfile\")(beginning-of-buffer)(search-forward \"version=\")(move-end-of-line nil))"

This worked fine. Now if I do it emacsclient does open the file
and goes to the right line, it just doesn't get the tty like it
should. It prints the line one would expect in the minibuffer on
stdout.

Using the options with emacs as the command does work fine.

I hope you can repeat this.

# Han
--
 (_)    I'll have the veal, a lovely meal, that's how I feel - May I use
  "===' your skull for a bowl? -- Tom Waits

* Re: emacsclient misbehaves
@ 2008-02-03 23:33 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-02-03 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Han Boetes

Would someone please DTRT and ack?

Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:38:56 +0059
From: Han Boetes <han@mijncomputer.nl>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: emacsclient misbehaves

@ 2008-02-11  2:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-11  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Han Boetes, emacs-devel

> I found this bug which started occuring about a few month ago.

As far as I can tell, none of that has changed ever since --eval was
added to emacsclient.  So please describe clearly the behavior you used
to see with emacsclient.

> I used this command to start editing a file on the correct line:

> emacsclient --eval "(progn (find-file \"$PWD/Pkgfile\")(beginning-of-buffer)(search-forward \"version=\")(move-end-of-line nil))"

> This worked fine. Now if I do it emacsclient does open the file
> and goes to the right line, it just doesn't get the tty like it
> should. It prints the line one would expect in the minibuffer on
> stdout.

Until a few mponths ago, emacsclient never got the tty.  Were you using
the multi-tty branch?  That emacsclient had a different argument
convention, incompatible with the Emacs-22 emacsclient, so it was
changed as part of the inclusion into Emacs.  If you want to grab the
tty, you have to request it explicitly with "-t" (or "-c").

* Re: emacsclient misbehaves
@ 2008-02-11  8:01     ` Han Boetes
From: Han Boetes @ 2008-02-11  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Han wrote:
> > I used this command to start editing a file on the correct line:
>
> > emacsclient --eval "(progn (find-file
> > \"$PWD/Pkgfile\")(beginning-of-buffer)(search-forward
> > \"version=\")(move-end-of-line nil))"
>
> > This worked fine. Now if I do it emacsclient does open the
> > file and goes to the right line, it just doesn't get the tty
> > like it should. It prints the line one would expect in the
> > minibuffer on stdout.
>
> Until a few months ago, emacsclient never got the tty.  Were
> you using the multi-tty branch?

Ah, I used the mtty-branch before it was added to the main tree.

> That emacsclient had a different argument convention,
> incompatible with the Emacs-22 emacsclient, so it was changed as
> part of the inclusion into Emacs.  If you want to grab the tty,
> you have to request it explicitly with "-t" (or "-c").

Indeed, and rather unexpectedly. Thanks for the heads-up.

# Han