* make smerge-mode move the point?
@ 2008-01-13 20:14 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-01-13 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Wouldn't it be better if smerge-mode moved the point to the first
conflict marker?

Resolving conflicts is the reason this mode gets turned on, so it would
be nicer for the user if it would move the point to the first conflict.
It would be one less action to do, and it would make it easier to see
there's a conflict.

* Re: make smerge-mode move the point?
@ 2008-01-13 21:55 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-01-13 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Wouldn't it be better if smerge-mode moved the point to the first
> conflict marker?

> Resolving conflicts is the reason this mode gets turned on, so it would
> be nicer for the user if it would move the point to the first conflict.
> It would be one less action to do, and it would make it easier to see
> there's a conflict.

I think it would be wrong for the `smerge-mode' command to move point.
(De)activating such a minor mode shouldn't move point.

OTOH when smerge-mode gets enabled in response to a VC action, it
probably makes sense to move point, indeed.  So I suggest to add a new
command that activates smerge-mode and moves to the first conflict (and
probably run a hook where the user can place things like
smerge-resolve-all).

* Re: make smerge-mode move the point?
@ 2008-01-14  0:43   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2008-01-14  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > Wouldn't it be better if smerge-mode moved the point to the first
  > > conflict marker?
  >
  > > Resolving conflicts is the reason this mode gets turned on, so it would
  > > be nicer for the user if it would move the point to the first conflict.
  > > It would be one less action to do, and it would make it easier to see
  > > there's a conflict.
  >
  > I think it would be wrong for the `smerge-mode' command to move point.
  > (De)activating such a minor mode shouldn't move point.
  >
  > OTOH when smerge-mode gets enabled in response to a VC action, it
  > probably makes sense to move point, indeed.  So I suggest to add a new
  > command that activates smerge-mode and moves to the first conflict

Like this?

;;;###autoload
(defun smerge-auto ()
  "Turn on `smerge-mode' and move point to first conflict marker.
If no conflict maker is found, turn off `smerge-mode'."
  (smerge-mode 1)
  (condition-case nil
      (smerge-next)
    (error (smerge-auto-leave))))

  > (and probably run a hook where the user can place things like
  > smerge-resolve-all).

Not sure what you mean here. Is this for something like
vc-svn-resolve-when-done, or something else?

* Re: make smerge-mode move the point?
@ 2008-01-14  1:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-01-14  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> OTOH when smerge-mode gets enabled in response to a VC action, it
>> probably makes sense to move point, indeed.  So I suggest to add a new
>> command that activates smerge-mode and moves to the first conflict

> Like this?

> ;;;###autoload
> (defun smerge-auto ()
>   "Turn on `smerge-mode' and move point to first conflict marker.
> If no conflict maker is found, turn off `smerge-mode'."
>   (smerge-mode 1)
>   (condition-case nil
>       (smerge-next)
>     (error (smerge-auto-leave))))

Looks OK.

>> (and probably run a hook where the user can place things like
>> smerge-resolve-all).

> Not sure what you mean here. Is this for something like
> vc-svn-resolve-when-done, or something else?

No, as the docstring of smerge-resolve-all explains: "Perform automatic
resolution on all conflicts".