* elisp documentation links to emacs doc
@ 2008-01-12  3:06 xah lee
From: xah lee @ 2008-01-12  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

In the official HTML version of the elisp doc, there are many links
to the emacs doc nodes. (i counted, 101 of them.)

For example: the node Major-Mode-Conventions
http://xahlee.org/elisp/Major-Mode-Conventions.html

has links to emacs doc node “Options Controlling Comments.”

My problem is that for those who only install one doc, then the links
are dead.

Are people suppose do always install these 2 docs together? If not,
is there some mechanism, either when writing the doc or generating
the doc, to not result in links to other docs?

(i have a few other issues about emacs documentation. Is this the
right channel?)

Thanks.

   Xah
   xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: elisp documentation links to emacs doc
@ 2008-01-12 11:11 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-01-12 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xah lee; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

    My problem is that for those who only install one doc, then the links
    are dead.

I don't know anything we could do about that.

* Re: elisp documentation links to emacs doc
@ 2008-01-12 11:50 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2008-01-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xah lee; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Hi, Xah!

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 07:06:25PM -0800, xah lee wrote:

> In the official HTML version of the elisp doc, there are many links  to
> the emacs doc nodes. (i counted, 101 of them.)

[ .... ]

> My problem is that for those who only install one doc, then the links
> are dead.

> Are people suppose do always install these 2 docs together? If not,
> is there some mechanism, either when writing the doc or generating
> the doc, to not result in links to other docs?

I had this problem in cc-mode.sourceforge.net: my solution was to fix the
html files, redirecting all {links to the non-existent directories
../emacs and ../elisp} to
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/e{macs,lisp}/

Here is the script I use, called "2www.gnu.org.sh" - (it also deletes a
reference to the non-existent GNU Indent manual).  Feel free to adapt it
to your needs.

#!/bin/sh
# Fix all http links to the Emacs or Elisp manual.
#
# These are redirected from, e.g., "../emacs" to the existing page at
# www.gnu.org.  The link to the indent manual is deleted, because there is no
# online copy of this.
#
# This script takes exactly 1 parameter, the directory to run in.
# e.g. % 2www.gnu.org.sh ~/cc-mode/html

CURDIR=`pwd`
cd $1
for f in *.html
do mv $f asdf.html
    sed 's%href="../emacs/%href="http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/%g
s%href="../elisp/%href="http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/%g' \
    asdf.html > $f
done

mv Limitations-and-Known-Bugs.html asdf.html
sed "s%<[^<>]*>GNU indent ([^()]*)</a>%GNU indent%" \
asdf.html > Limitations-and-Known-Bugs.html

rm asdf.html
cd $CURDIR

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany)

* Re: elisp documentation links to emacs doc
@ 2008-01-12 12:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-01-12 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xah lee; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> From: xah lee <xah@xahlee.org>
> Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:06:25 -0800
>
> Are people suppose do always install these 2 docs together?

Yes.

* Re: elisp documentation links to emacs doc
@ 2008-01-21 21:09   ` Kevin Ryde
From: Kevin Ryde @ 2008-01-21 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> I had this problem in cc-mode.sourceforge.net: my solution was to fix the
> html files, redirecting all {links to the non-existent directories
> ../emacs and ../elisp} to
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/e{macs,lisp}/

For what it's worth I've done the same to a few online manuals over the
years, linking to gnu or elsewhere.  Rumour has it makeinfo is slowly
moving towards some sort of config or options for its link output, so
you can say what you've got locally or remotely and by-node or
single-file.