* vc-mode nit: C-x v v doesn't add a file in a subdir
@ 2007-10-21 21:14 Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2007-10-21 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

I was surprised by this:

  $ git-init
  Initialized empty Git repository in .git/
  $ mkdir c; echo a > c/f; emacs c/f

then I typed C-x v v, and got this:

  vc-deduce-fileset: No fileset is available here.

* Re: vc-mode nit: C-x v v doesn't add a file in a subdir
@ 2007-10-21 23:54 ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-21 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:

  > I was surprised by this:
  >
  >   $ git-init
  >   Initialized empty Git repository in .git/
  >   $ mkdir c; echo a > c/f; emacs c/f
  >
  > then I typed C-x v v, and got this:
  >
  >   vc-deduce-fileset: No fileset is available here.

It works for me.
This change should have fixed this:

2007-10-20  Eric S. Raymond  <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>

        * vc.el (vc-do-command): Condition out a misleading message when
        running asynchronously.
        (vc-deduce-fileset): New argument enables using an unregistered
        visited file as a singleton fileset if nothing else is available.
        (vc-next-action): Restore file-registering behavior.

* Re: vc-mode nit: C-x v v doesn't add a file in a subdir
@ 2007-10-22  8:42   ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2007-10-22  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
> Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:
>   > I was surprised by this:
>   >   vc-deduce-fileset: No fileset is available here.
>
> It works for me.
> This change should have fixed this:

Thanks for the quick feedback.
However, I was using the very latest, which included that change.
Can you still reproduce it like this, from your emacs build directory?

    cd src && git-init && mkdir c && echo a > c/f && ./emacs -q c/f

Then type C-x v v.

I still see the failure.

* Re: vc-mode nit: C-x v v doesn't add a file in a subdir
@ 2007-10-22 14:14     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-22 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
  > > Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:
  > >   > I was surprised by this:
  > >   >   vc-deduce-fileset: No fileset is available here.
  > >
  > > It works for me.
  > > This change should have fixed this:
  >
  > Thanks for the quick feedback.
  > However, I was using the very latest, which included that change.
  > Can you still reproduce it like this, from your emacs build directory?
  >
  >     cd src && git-init && mkdir c && echo a > c/f && ./emacs -q c/f
  >
  > Then type C-x v v.
  >
  > I still see the failure.

The command sequence above works for me.

Did you byte compile vc.el?

cd lisp && make recompile

and then try again.

* Re: vc-mode nit: C-x v v doesn't add a file in a subdir
@ 2007-10-22 14:22       ` Jim Meyering
From: Jim Meyering @ 2007-10-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
>   >     cd src && git-init && mkdir c && echo a > c/f && ./emacs -q c/f
>   >
>   > Then type C-x v v.
>   >
>   > I still see the failure.
>
> The command sequence above works for me.
>
> Did you byte compile vc.el?
>
> cd lisp && make recompile
>
> and then try again.

Humph.  That did it.  Thanks.

Is it expected that I'd have to do that manually?
I would have though a Makefile rule would make it happen automatically.
I.e., shouldn't "make clean; make bootstrap" have done that?

* Re: vc-mode nit: C-x v v doesn't add a file in a subdir
@ 2007-10-22 16:17         ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-10-22 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Meyering; +Cc: Emacs development discussions

Jim Meyering <jim@meyering.net> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
  > >   >     cd src && git-init && mkdir c && echo a > c/f && ./emacs -q c/f
  > >   >
  > >   > Then type C-x v v.
  > >   >
  > >   > I still see the failure.
  > >
  > > The command sequence above works for me.
  > >
  > > Did you byte compile vc.el?
  > >
  > > cd lisp && make recompile
  > >
  > > and then try again.
  >
  > Humph.  That did it.  Thanks.
  >
  > Is it expected that I'd have to do that manually?
  > I would have though a Makefile rule would make it happen automatically.
  > I.e., shouldn't "make clean; make bootstrap" have done that?

"make bootstrap" should have done that, a simple "make" does not do
it.