* Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 43, Issue 234
       [not found] <46f1ca06.0313360a.5a40.ffffa64eSMTPIN_ADDED@mx.google.com>
@ 2007-09-20  7:13 ` d.henman
From: d.henman @ 2007-09-20  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yes, unwanted advertisement pop-ups, aka, splash screens are annoyances to all and
should be overriden by command line invocations at the very, very least.

Why try to emulate Microsoft, et al.

The following invocation has been and should always be the norm.

 $ emacs  filetoedit.txt

when you want to edit a file and don't want splash screens advertising whatever.

if no agrument then... you have options.....  but, always leave the option for users to defenestrate it from the X-window frame.

Darel Henman

emacs-devel-request@gnu.org wrote:
> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 01:24:49 +0100
> From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New start up splash screen annoyance...
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On 2007-09-20 00:46 +0100, Juri Linkov wrote:
> >> My mind is made up that we must arrange that beginners who always
> >> specify a file name argument mostly do see the splash screen
> >> information.  I'm willing to consider other ways of doing that
> >> as long as I think they are effective.
> >
> > The least obtrusive way to show the important information for beginners is
> > using the echo area message.  It is quite reliable channel if we take
> > precautions against overriding it with other messages (e.g. displaying it
> > at the final stage of startup).  A large message, as Kim suggested,
> > can't go unnoticed.  And clicking on it would display the full startup
> > screen.
>
> Back in the days when I was using proprietary software, I usually needed
> to purchase a license to stop it from popping up a startup screen. It
> would be helpful if we can do the same.
>
> --
> .:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-09-20  7:13 UTC | newest]