* help wanted for vc-hg.el
@ 2007-06-21 16:18 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-06-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

vc-hg.el has been checked in recently. Unfortunately Ivan Kanis, the
vc-hg.el author does not have much time to maintain it.

I implemented some of the missing functionality, but there are some
things that still need to be done. Here's a tentative list:

- thoroughly test and fix problems that are found

- write regexps for log-view to understand the "hg log" output

- implement vc-dired
- implement vc-snapshot
    I have never used the 2 above, so I don't know much about them, or
    even if they make sense for Mercurial.

- Implement Stefan Monnier's advice:
    vc-hg-registered and vc-hg-state
    Both of those functions should be super extra careful to fail gracefully in
    unexpected circumstances.  The most important such case is when the `hg'
    executable is not available.  The reason this is important is that any error
    there will prevent the user from even looking at the file :-(
    Ideally, just like in vc-arch and vc-cvs, checking that the file is under
    mercurial's control and extracting the current revision should be done
    without even using `hg' (this way even if you don't have `hg' installed,
    Emacs is able to tell you this file is under mercurial's control).

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

        --dan

* Re: help wanted for vc-hg.el
@ 2007-06-21 20:22 ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-06-21 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:

[...]
> - write regexps for log-view to understand the "hg log" output

This shouldn't be necessary as the output of hg log can be
customized and there is already a gnu-changelog like style, try:
hg log --style changelog

sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
Hauptfunktion einer GUI ist es IMHO, die dadurch verlorene Zeit durch

* Re: help wanted for vc-hg.el
@ 2007-06-21 22:21   ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-06-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Wilde; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <dann@ics.uci.edu> wrote:
  >
  > [...]
  > > - write regexps for log-view to understand the "hg log" output
  >
  > This shouldn't be necessary as the output of hg log can be
  > customized and there is already a gnu-changelog like style, try:
  > hg log --style changelog

Unfortunately that format does not contain version numbers. Version
numbers are needed for vc-annotate-show-log-revision-at-line.
Fortunately the default format for "hg log" is not hard to parse...

* Re: help wanted for vc-hg.el
@ 2007-06-22  1:28   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-22  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sascha Wilde; +Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

>> - write regexps for log-view to understand the "hg log" output

> This shouldn't be necessary as the output of hg log can be
> customized and there is already a gnu-changelog like style, try:
> hg log --style changelog

Even so: log-view.el doesn't understand GNU ChangeLog format.

        Stefan

PS: for vc-hg.el and "hg log" output, check the new `log-view-mode' VC
    operation I added in vc.el and which is now used in vc-bzr.el.
    Basically, you should just define a vc-hg-log-view-mode derived mode.

* using log-view-mode when a file name is not available (was: Re: help wanted for vc-hg.el)
@ 2007-06-22  2:21     ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-06-22  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > PS: for vc-hg.el and "hg log" output, check the new `log-view-mode' VC
  >     operation I added in vc.el and which is now used in vc-bzr.el.
  >     Basically, you should just define a vc-hg-log-view-mode derived mode.

Thanks, I committed a change that did that.

Now one issue is left: the file name does not appear in the hg (and
bzr) log.
log-view-mode really wants a file name when trying to do a diff
between versions. Do you have any idea what to do about that?

* Re: using log-view-mode when a file name is not available
@ 2007-06-22 15:00       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-06-22 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Nicolaescu; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> PS: for vc-hg.el and "hg log" output, check the new `log-view-mode' VC
>> operation I added in vc.el and which is now used in vc-bzr.el.
>> Basically, you should just define a vc-hg-log-view-mode derived mode.

> Thanks, I committed a change that did that.

> Now one issue is left: the file name does not appear in the hg (and
> bzr) log.
> log-view-mode really wants a file name when trying to do a diff
> between versions. Do you have any idea what to do about that?

IIRC the easiest solution is to have vc-hg-print-log insert the name just
before running "hg log".

* Re: using log-view-mode when a file name is not available
@ 2007-06-22 17:37         ` Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2007-06-22 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Riccardo Murri, emacs-devel

  > >> PS: for vc-hg.el and "hg log" output, check the new `log-view-mode' VC
  > >> operation I added in vc.el and which is now used in vc-bzr.el.
  > >> Basically, you should just define a vc-hg-log-view-mode derived mode.
  >
  > > Thanks, I committed a change that did that.
  >
  > > Now one issue is left: the file name does not appear in the hg (and
  > > bzr) log.
  > > log-view-mode really wants a file name when trying to do a diff
  > > between versions. Do you have any idea what to do about that?
  >
  > IIRC the easiest solution is to have vc-hg-print-log insert the name just
  > before running "hg log".

Good idea, I did that.
vc-bzr.el can do the same thing.