On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 08:10:47PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote: > "Trent Buck" writes: > > Recommendation: either 0) tell users not to run more than one emacs; > > 1) don't byte-compile; or 2) place bytecode in path(s) local to the > > current emacs-version. > > > > Debian's elisp package framework adopts (2), that might be a source of > > inspiration. > > Debian's Elisp package framework socks boulders through straws. Emacs > is designed to have Elisp and elc files in the same directory. That's > how load-path orders can take effect. Debian completely breaks this, > as witnessed by calling M-x list-load-path-shadows RET. And, of > course, things like M-x byte-recompile-directory RET don't work in > Debian, either. Forgive me, I did not know. > > package.el appears to create bytecode in a common directory. > > It creates the bytecode in the directory where the source Elisp files > lie, I would presume. Correct. > > Unless code is carefully audited, any time .emacs.d is shared > > between multiple emacsen packages errors can be expected. > > Sharing such a directory is a mistake, anyway. > > [...] > > Sharing Elisp files between different Emacs variants is not a good > idea. OK, so what file system do you think package.el should use? Or is it also a bad idea to share $HOME across hosts running different Emacs releases? -- Trent Buck