Dear Zhang Wei, I've installed the Emacs from its latest CVS, this is, your patch on gbk-gb18030 has included in it. But now, I can't display some files correctly when encoding with gb18030, the attacted is a sample file. So I use the variable you told me, put the following at the first line of my tex file: %% -*- coding: gb18030; -*- But the problem is still the same! Furthmore, if I use the utf8 encoding scheme, the problem will disappear automatically. -- Hongyi Zhao 赵弘毅 -- 《寻隐者不遇》 作者:贾岛 松下问童子,言师采药去。 只在此山中,云深不知处。