* Problem report #1
@ 2006-04-30 16:39 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2006-04-30 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

All the remaining problem reports that have not been posted here yet
are for files in emacs/lib-src.

CID: 1
Checker: DEADCODE (help)
File: emacs/lib-src/pop.c
Function: pop_open

Event cannot_single: After this line (or expression), the value of "password" cannot be 0
Also see events: [dead_error_line][dead_error_condition][cannot_single]

255  	  if ((! password) && (! DONT_NEED_PASSWORD))
256  	    {
257  	      if (! (flags & POP_NO_GETPASS))
258  		{
259  		  password = getpass ("Enter POP password:");
260  		}

Event cannot_single: After this line (or expression), the value of "password" cannot be 0
Also see events: [dead_error_line][dead_error_condition][cannot_single]

261  	      if (! password)
262  		{
263  		  strcpy (pop_error, "Could not determine POP password");
264  		  return (0);
265  		}
266  	    }

Event dead_error_condition: On this path, the condition "password != 0" could not be false
Also see events: [dead_error_line][cannot_single][cannot_single]

267  	  if (password)
268  	    flags |= POP_NO_KERBEROS;
269  	  else

Event dead_error_line: Cannot reach this line of code
Also see events: [dead_error_condition][cannot_single][cannot_single]

270  	    password = username;
271
272  	  sock = socket_connection (host, flags);

* Re: Problem report #1
@ 2006-05-02  9:40 Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2006-05-02  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Richard M. Stallman, emacs-devel

>CID: 1
>Checker: DEADCODE (help)
>File: emacs/lib-src/pop.c
>Function: pop_open

I do not maintain pop.c, but I looked into this since rms asked for it.

>Event cannot_single: After this line (or expression), the value of "password" cannot be 0
>Also see events: [dead_error_line][dead_error_condition][cannot_single]
>
>255  	  if ((! password) && (! DONT_NEED_PASSWORD))
>256  	    {
>257  	      if (! (flags & POP_NO_GETPASS))
>258  		{
>259  		  password = getpass ("Enter POP password:");
>260  		}
>261  	      if (! password)
>262  		{
>263  		  strcpy (pop_error, "Could not determine POP password");
>264  		  return (0);
>265  		}
>266  	    }
>267  	  if (password)
>268  	    flags |= POP_NO_KERBEROS;
>269  	  else
>
>Event dead_error_line: Cannot reach this line of code
>Also see events: [dead_error_condition][cannot_single][cannot_single]
>
>270  	    password = username;

This is true.  Given the above check and error message, we always have a
password at this stage, which means that the POP_NO_KERBEROS flag is
unconditionally set.  As a consequence, KPOP is never used.

I have no idea why this is it, maybe we should ask the authors of the
kerberos code.  If no one else can do it, I can look into it, but I
never programmed kerberos before.

Please put me in CC when answering this.

* Re: Problem report #1
@ 2006-05-02 21:37 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-05-02 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dann, emacs-devel

I made a mental slip, associating pop.c with you.
However, it turns out that there is no particular maintainer.
So it was good that you investigated this.

It sounds like you agree the code is dead.
That may not be a problem.  So how about if you add a comment
pointing out that that case cannot occur.  If that ever causes
a problem, the comment will show why.

* Re: Problem report #1
@ 2006-05-03  9:54   ` Francesco Potorti`
From: Francesco Potorti` @ 2006-05-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dann, emacs-devel

>It sounds like you agree the code is dead.
>That may not be a problem.  So how about if you add a comment
>pointing out that that case cannot occur.  If that ever causes
>a problem, the comment will show why.

I will do that.  I am currently overloaded, but since this is a very
small work I can do that soon, if necessary.  Please give me both a
preferred and a hard deadline.