* change the default ediff-split-window-function to split-window-horizontally
@ 2006-04-04 18:26 Dan Nicolaescu
From: Dan Nicolaescu @ 2006-04-04 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can we change the default ediff-split-window-function to
split-window-horizontally ?

All the GUI diff applications that I know off: xxdiff, meld, kdiff,
kompare display the 2 files side by side.
So it seems that now users expect diff applications to display the
files side by side.

The reason to change is not only to blindly follow other applications,
but the side-by-side display is superior.
It is easier for the eye to follow differences when they are side by
side (even the expression is: "side-by-side comparison" not "one on
top of the other comparison").

The current default might be familiar to people used to look at
diff(1) output, but that is not the majority of users.

Opinions?

Thanks
                --dan

* Re: change the default ediff-split-window-function to split-window-horizontally
@ 2006-04-05 16:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-05 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> Can we change the default ediff-split-window-function to
> split-window-horizontally ?
>
> All the GUI diff applications that I know off: xxdiff, meld, kdiff,
> kompare display the 2 files side by side.
> So it seems that now users expect diff applications to display the
> files side by side.
>
> The reason to change is not only to blindly follow other applications,
> but the side-by-side display is superior.
> It is easier for the eye to follow differences when they are side by
> side (even the expression is: "side-by-side comparison" not "one on
> top of the other comparison").
>
> The current default might be familiar to people used to look at
> diff(1) output, but that is not the majority of users.
>
> Opinions?

Since you asked: I like it the way it is, primarily because I want each
buffer to be displayed in a full-width window.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* RE: change the default ediff-split-window-function tosplit-window-horizontally
@ 2006-04-06 17:02   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2006-04-06 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Can we change the default ediff-split-window-function to
    > split-window-horizontally? Opinions?

    Since you asked: I like it the way it is, primarily because I want each
    buffer to be displayed in a full-width window.

And (since you asked) I'd like, when `pop-up-frames' is non-nil, the default
to be two frames side by side, tiling the full display except for, say, 3 cm
at the bottom, and with the Ediff control panel as a separate frame at the
right below the other frames.