* Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-09 16:13 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2006-03-09 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

For a while now, I've noticed that Large Bolded Font displays in my
Carbon Emacs have been truncated.  I figured that eventually it would
get fixed, but apparently I'm the only one noticing it.

<http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9278/picture16xw.png>

is a sample.  That's the front page of the Emacs info page.
"Emacs Edito" should be "Emacs Editor".

I suspect it happens only on fonts that are "artificially bolded" by the OS.
Perhaps something isn't computing the actual new width.

* Re: Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-10  8:12 ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2006-03-10  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> For a while now, I've noticed that Large Bolded Font displays in my
> Carbon Emacs have been truncated.  I figured that eventually it
> would get fixed, but apparently I'm the only one noticing it.

> <http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/9278/picture16xw.png>

> is a sample.  That's the front page of the Emacs info page.  "Emacs
> Edito" should be "Emacs Editor".

Can you give us more info?

  * Mac OS X version
  * Result of `C-u C-x =' on some character in the font in question
  * Value of mac-allow-anti-aliasing

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-10 16:40   ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2006-03-10 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

YAMAMOTO>   * Mac OS X version

10.4.5

YAMAMOTO>   * Result of `C-u C-x =' on some character in the font in question

  character: T (84, #o124, #x54, U+0054)
    charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
 code point: #x54
     syntax: w  which means: word
   category: a:ASCII l:Latin
buffer code: #x54
  file code: #x54 (encoded by coding system iso-latin-1)
    display: by this font (glyph code)
     -apple-bitstream vera sans-bold-r-normal--17-170-72-72-m-170-mac-roman (#x54)

There are text properties here:
  font-lock-face       info-title-1

YAMAMOTO>   * Value of mac-allow-anti-aliasing

mac-allow-anti-aliasing is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
*If non-nil, allow anti-aliasing.
The text will be rendered using Core Graphics text rendering which
may anti-alias the text.

* Re: Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-11  4:37     ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2006-03-11  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> display: by this font (glyph code)
> -apple-bitstream vera sans-bold-r-normal--17-170-72-72-m-170-mac-roman (#x54)

This is a non-default setting.  In such a case, please describe your
font setting in your bug report so others can reproduce your situation
as closely as possible.

Anyway, I tried to do that by

  1) Installing fonts by copying
     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/Vera*.ttf to ~/Library/Fonts using
     Finder.
  2) (set-face-attribute 'variable-pitch nil :family "bitstream vera sans")
  3) C-h i

I could reproduce the problem on Mac OS X 10.4.5, but not on 10.3.9.
On 10.4.5, not only the bold font but also the normal one showed the
same problem.

  4) (set-face-attribute 'info-title-4 nil :weight 'normal)

So I suspect this is a bug in QuickDraw Text on 10.4.  Unfortunately,
Apple declares it is deprecated on 10.4, so maybe we can't expect it
will get fixed :-(

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp

* Re: Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-11  7:33       ` Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 2006-03-11  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO> This is a non-default setting.  In such a case, please describe your
YAMAMOTO> font setting in your bug report so others can reproduce your situation
YAMAMOTO> as closely as possible.

Sorry.  I could have posted my .emacs if asked.  Wasn't sure how much or
little of it was significant.

YAMAMOTO> Anyway, I tried to do that by

YAMAMOTO> I could reproduce the problem on Mac OS X 10.4.5, but not on 10.3.9.
YAMAMOTO> On 10.4.5, not only the bold font but also the normal one showed the
YAMAMOTO> same problem.

YAMAMOTO>   4) (set-face-attribute 'info-title-4 nil :weight 'normal)

YAMAMOTO> So I suspect this is a bug in QuickDraw Text on 10.4.  Unfortunately,
YAMAMOTO> Apple declares it is deprecated on 10.4, so maybe we can't expect it
YAMAMOTO> will get fixed :-(

So, Emacs will have to adapt to whatever really works on 10.4, given that
10.4 will not adapt to Emacs.

I presume this will get marked down as a bug, and when someone gets some
tuits, will get fixed.  Cool.

* Re: Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-11 10:48         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2006-03-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 10 Mar 2006 23:33:04 -0800, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com> wrote:

> So, Emacs will have to adapt to whatever really works on 10.4, given that
> 10.4 will not adapt to Emacs.

I don't think it is Mac-specific. I reported a few weeks ago that I
see the same think with bold fonts on a Windows XP Home Edition, and
it's not confined to "large" bold fonts, it happens with normal-sized
bold fonts: the right end of bold strings (and not from individual
characters, unless they're alone) is truncated a few pixels. There are
other factors at play, though, because I don't see the problem on a
Windows XP Professional using the exact same fonts.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: Carbon Emacs - large bolded fonts get truncated
@ 2006-03-11 11:37         ` YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu @ 2006-03-11 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

YAMAMOTO> This is a non-default setting.  In such a case, please
YAMAMOTO> describe your font setting in your bug report so others can
YAMAMOTO> reproduce your situation as closely as possible.

> Sorry.  I could have posted my .emacs if asked.  Wasn't sure how
> much or little of it was significant.

The "Understanding Bug Reporting" node in Emacs info would be good to
read if you've never done so.  A concrete procedure to reproduce the
problem is really really helpful.

> So, Emacs will have to adapt to whatever really works on 10.4, given
> that 10.4 will not adapt to Emacs.

The situation is not so bad, actually.  The only example of the
problem you've reported is "Bitstream Vera Sans" as far as I know, and
it is not an OS-bundled font.  And ATSUI (a replacement of QuickDraw
Text) support is in progress although it is still experimental.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp