On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 09:34:43AM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote: [...] > OK, here are my suggestions. I think they they are both clear enough and > rigorous enough: > > " car is a built-in function. > (car CONS) > > Return the car of CONS. If CONS is nil, return nil. > The car of a list or a dotted pair is its first element. > > Error if CONS is not nil and not a cons cell. See also `car-safe'." [similar CDR suggestion snipped] I actually liked your first suggestions better. I know it is controversial here :-) Regards -- tomas