On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:12:45PM +0200, Lennart Borgman wrote: > Lennart Borgman wrote: [...] > >I find this a bit confusing still. What character is entered by Emacs > >when I type ä on my swedish keyboard? When I look at the character ä > >in Emacs with (following-char) it in both test files returns 2276. Is > >that what I would expect in the iso-8859-1 test file? (It starts with > >) Ah. You have to distinguish between Emacs's internal representation (that's possibly the 2276 you mention), which doesn't change (al least unless you try hard ;) and what is in the file (how Emacs writes or interprets what it reads). You can change those things changing the coding system (look for something like `multilingual environment'). You can see what coding system is active by doing `M-x describe-coding-system´. HTH -- tomás