* mode-line highlight
@ 2005-06-15 21:21 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-15 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Two minor issues:

1 - move mouse to one of the minor modes names on the mode-line.
    press mouse-3 to get a menu of minor modes.
    cancel the menu by releasing outside of it (while keeping the mouse
    cursor pointing outside of any Emacs window): the mouse-face highlight
    will be turned back ON (on the spot where you orignally pressed
    mouse-3), even though the mouse is not in that area any more.

2 - the highlight for minor modes only covers a single minor mode at a time,
    even though the corresponding local-map, mouse-face, help-echo, ...
    apply uniformly to the whole minor-mode area (rather than to specific
    minor modes).

-- Stefan

* Re: mode-line highlight
@ 2005-06-15 22:25 ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2005-06-15 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> 1 - move mouse to one of the minor modes names on the mode-line.
>     press mouse-3 to get a menu of minor modes.
>     cancel the menu by releasing outside of it (while keeping the mouse
>     cursor pointing outside of any Emacs window): the mouse-face highlight
>     will be turned back ON (on the spot where you orignally pressed
>     mouse-3), even though the mouse is not in that area any more.

FWIW, I can (sort of) reproduce this with Lucid, but not with GTK.
With GTK, the highlight is turned off as soon as I press mouse-3 (and
it stays off).  With Lucid, the highlight stays on when I press
mouse-3 and while the menu is visible.  It stays on when a release
mouse-3 outside of an Emacs frame and is turned off when I move the
mouse pointer inside an Emacs frame again.  I'm on GNU/Linux.

Lute.

* Re: mode-line highlight
@ 2005-06-16  4:15 ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2005-06-16  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> 1 - move mouse to one of the minor modes names on the mode-line.
>     press mouse-3 to get a menu of minor modes.
>     cancel the menu by releasing outside of it (while keeping the mouse
>     cursor pointing outside of any Emacs window): the mouse-face highlight
>     will be turned back ON (on the spot where you orignally pressed
>     mouse-3), even though the mouse is not in that area any more.

I think it is nothing to do with mouse-line.
Please eval following code at *scratch*; and do the same on [PRESS ME] on
your emacs with Lucid.

    (easy-menu-define test-menu global-map
	       "Menu for `test-menu'."
	       '("Test"
		 ["Gnus" gnus]
		 ["Grep" grep]
		 ))

    (let ((b (goto-char (point-max)))
	  (e (progn (insert "[PRESS ME]") (point))))
      (put-text-property b e
			 'mouse-face
			 'highlight)
      (put-text-property b e
			 'local-map
			 (let ((kmap (make-sparse-keymap)))
			   (define-key kmap [down-mouse-3] (lambda ()
							     (interactive)
							     (popup-menu test-menu)))
			   kmap)))

As Lute reported, emacs with Gtk+ behaves different way.
Ignoring this bug, I like the behavior of emacs with lucid; it shows the
association between a popup menu and its target item.
See smerge's popup menu behavior.

Masatake YAMATO

* Re: mode-line highlight
@ 2005-06-17 13:31   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-17 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

>> 1 - move mouse to one of the minor modes names on the mode-line.
>> press mouse-3 to get a menu of minor modes.
>> cancel the menu by releasing outside of it (while keeping the mouse
>> cursor pointing outside of any Emacs window): the mouse-face highlight
>> will be turned back ON (on the spot where you orignally pressed
>> mouse-3), even though the mouse is not in that area any more.

> I think it is nothing to do with mouse-line.

Could be.

> Please eval following code at *scratch*; and do the same on [PRESS ME] on
> your emacs with Lucid.

>     (easy-menu-define test-menu global-map
> 	       "Menu for `test-menu'."
> 	       '("Test"
> 		 ["Gnus" gnus]
> 		 ["Grep" grep]
> 		 ))

>     (let ((b (goto-char (point-max)))
> 	  (e (progn (insert "[PRESS ME]") (point))))
>       (put-text-property b e
> 			 'mouse-face
> 			 'highlight)
>       (put-text-property b e
> 			 'local-map
> 			 (let ((kmap (make-sparse-keymap)))
> 			   (define-key kmap [down-mouse-3] (lambda ()
> 							     (interactive)
> 							     (popup-menu test-menu)))
> 			   kmap)))

> As Lute reported, emacs with Gtk+ behaves different way.
> Ignoring this bug, I like the behavior of emacs with lucid; it shows the

I'm not sure what precise behaviors you're referring to.  If you're saying
it's good to keep the highlighting while the menu is displayed,
I could agree.  But the highlighting should disappear when the menu is
popped down.

* Re: mode-line highlight
@ 2005-06-17 13:34     ` Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2005-06-17 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> I'm not sure what precise behaviors you're referring to.  If you're saying
> it's good to keep the highlighting while the menu is displayed,
> I could agree.  But the highlighting should disappear when the menu is
> popped down.

What you wrote here is what I'd like to say.