* cus-edit.el
@ 2005-02-19  2:27 Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-02-19  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: abraham

As I mentioned before, several strings in `custom-magic-alist' are
wrong (I previously gave test cases to show that) or too long.  There
are several typos in the initial comments.  The description of the
`rogue state' is too vague.

I propose the following patch, which I could install if desired:

===File ~/cus-edit.el-diff==================================
*** cus-edit.el	14 Feb 2005 15:38:32 -0600	1.212
--- cus-edit.el	18 Feb 2005 19:28:46 -0600
***************
*** 35,41 ****
  ;; that the user will run with M-x, and `Custom-' for interactive commands.

  ;; The identity of a customize option is represented by a Lisp symbol.
! ;; There is the following values associated with an option.

  ;; 0. The current value.

--- 35,41 ----
  ;; that the user will run with M-x, and `Custom-' for interactive commands.

  ;; The identity of a customize option is represented by a Lisp symbol.
! ;; The following values are associated with an option.

  ;; 0. The current value.

***************
*** 55,89 ****
  ;;    This is the last value given to the option through customize.

  ;;    It is stored in the 'customized-value' property of the option, in a
! ;;    cons-cell whose car evaluate to the customized value.

  ;; 3. The saved value.

  ;;    This is last value saved from customize.

  ;;    It is stored in the 'saved-value' property of the option, in a
! ;;    cons-cell whose car evaluate to the saved value.

  ;; 4. The standard value.

  ;;    This is the value given in the 'defcustom' declaration.

  ;;    It is stored in the 'standard-value' property of the option, in a
! ;;    cons-cell whose car evaluate to the standard value.

  ;; 5. The "think" value.

  ;;    This is what customize think the current value should be.

! ;;    This is the customize value, if any such value exists, otherwise
  ;;    the saved value, if that exists, and as a last resort the standard
  ;;    value.

  ;; The reason for storing values unevaluated: This is so you can have
  ;; values that depend on the environment.  For example, you can have a
! ;; valiable that has one value when Emacs is running under a window
  ;; system, and another value on a tty.  Since the evaluation is only done
! ;; when the variable is firsty initialized, this is only relevant for the
  ;; saved (and standard) values, but affect others values for
  ;; compatibility.

--- 55,89 ----
  ;;    This is the last value given to the option through customize.

  ;;    It is stored in the 'customized-value' property of the option, in a
! ;;    cons-cell whose car evaluates to the customized value.

  ;; 3. The saved value.

  ;;    This is last value saved from customize.

  ;;    It is stored in the 'saved-value' property of the option, in a
! ;;    cons-cell whose car evaluates to the saved value.

  ;; 4. The standard value.

  ;;    This is the value given in the 'defcustom' declaration.

  ;;    It is stored in the 'standard-value' property of the option, in a
! ;;    cons-cell whose car evaluates to the standard value.

  ;; 5. The "think" value.

  ;;    This is what customize think the current value should be.

! ;;    This is the customized value, if any such value exists, otherwise
  ;;    the saved value, if that exists, and as a last resort the standard
  ;;    value.

  ;; The reason for storing values unevaluated: This is so you can have
  ;; values that depend on the environment.  For example, you can have a
! ;; variable that has one value when Emacs is running under a window
  ;; system, and another value on a tty.  Since the evaluation is only done
! ;; when the variable is first initialized, this is only relevant for the
  ;; saved (and standard) values, but affect others values for
  ;; compatibility.

***************
*** 120,126 ****

  ;; 6. rogue

! ;;    There are no standard value.

  ;; 7. hidden

--- 120,131 ----

  ;; 6. rogue

! ;;    There is no standard value.  This means that the variable was
! ;;    not defined with defcustom.  In newer Emacs versions, you can
! ;;    not create a Custom buffer for such variables using the normal
! ;;    interactive Custom commands.  However, such Custom buffers can
! ;;    be created in other ways, for instance, by calling
! ;;    `customize-option' non-interactively.

  ;; 7. hidden

***************
*** 1671,1685 ****
  the value displayed for this %c is invalid and cannot be set.")
      (modified "*" custom-modified-face "\
  you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the %c." "\
! you have edited something in this group, but not set anything yet.")
      (set "+" custom-set-face "\
  you have set this %c, but not saved it for future sessions." "\
! you have set something in this group, but not saved anything yet.")
      (changed ":" custom-changed-face "\
  this %c has been changed outside the customize buffer." "\
  something in this group has been changed outside customize.")
      (saved "!" custom-saved-face "\
! You have set this %c and saved it through Customize in your init file." "\
  something in this group has been set and saved.")
      (rogue "@" custom-rogue-face "\
  this %c has not been changed with customize." "\
--- 1676,1690 ----
  the value displayed for this %c is invalid and cannot be set.")
      (modified "*" custom-modified-face "\
  you have edited the value as text, but you have not set the %c." "\
! you have edited something in this group, but not set it.")
      (set "+" custom-set-face "\
  you have set this %c, but not saved it for future sessions." "\
! you have set something in this group, but not saved it.")
      (changed ":" custom-changed-face "\
  this %c has been changed outside the customize buffer." "\
  something in this group has been changed outside customize.")
      (saved "!" custom-saved-face "\
! You have set and saved this %c through Customize." "\
  something in this group has been set and saved.")
      (rogue "@" custom-rogue-face "\
  this %c has not been changed with customize." "\

* Re: cus-edit.el
@ 2005-02-19 15:49 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-02-19 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Devel

> ! ;;    There is no standard value.  This means that the variable was
> ! ;;    not defined with defcustom.  In newer Emacs versions, you can
> ! ;;    not create a Custom buffer for such variables using the normal
> ! ;;    interactive Custom commands.  However, such Custom buffers can
> ! ;;    be created in other ways, for instance, by calling
> ! ;;    `customize-option' non-interactively.

To me your changes seems ok (but maybe I should not comment on the language
;-). But maybe "newer Emacs version" could be more specific so it would be
more safe for "ageing"?

* Re: cus-edit.el
@ 2005-02-19 23:48   ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-02-19 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   But maybe "newer Emacs version" could be more specific so it would be
   more safe for "ageing"?

I checked that the statement is already valid in Emacs 20.7.  Maybe
Per was just referring to original versions of Custom, that were not
included with Emacs.  I guess we could just leave out the "In newer
Emacs versions" altogether:

;; 6. rogue

;;    There is no standard value.  This means that the variable was
;;    not defined with defcustom.  You can not create a Custom buffer
;;    for such variables using the normal interactive Custom commands.
;;    However, such Custom buffers can be created in other ways, for
;;    instance, by calling `customize-option' non-interactively.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: cus-edit.el
@ 2005-02-22  2:22 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-02-22  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: abraham, emacs-devel

Unless there are objections, I will install the folowing patch to
cus-edit.el.  Except for the one minor change I discussed with
Lennart, it is identical to the one I proposed before.

*** cus-edit.el	14 Feb 2005 15:38:32 -0600	1.212
--- cus-edit.el	19 Feb 2005 17:34:21 -0600
[...]

! ;;    This is what customize thinks the current value should be.

--- 120,130 ----

--- 1675,1689 ----