* missing docs for _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_
@ 2004-09-06  6:54 Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2004-09-06  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is a single BDF property which might be of interest for the
user: _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_.  Currently, it is completely
undocumented (except a rough description in ps-bdf.el); you have to
look into the emacs source code to find some explanation.

IMHO the very problem is that the user will never know that this
property exists at all.  She will wonder why some glyphs jump out of
the base line, without finding a solution.

Besides documentation I suggest to make this value configurable for
each font.  It is a non-trivial task to find the original BDF, add the
_MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ property, convert it to PCF and compress it,
replace the proper font in the X11 font directory, run `xset fp
rehash', and finally restart Emacs.

[My suggestion comes from the fact that in the SuSE GNU/Linux
distribution this property is missing for the Efont family -- I've
already submitted a bug report.]

    Werner

* Re: missing docs for _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_
@ 2004-09-06  7:28 ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2004-09-06  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <20040906.085422.172911340.wl@gnu.org>, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> writes:

> There is a single BDF property which might be of interest for the
> user: _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_.  Currently, it is completely
> undocumented (except a rough description in ps-bdf.el); you have to
> look into the emacs source code to find some explanation.

> IMHO the very problem is that the user will never know that this
> property exists at all.  She will wonder why some glyphs jump out of
> the base line, without finding a solution.

> Besides documentation I suggest to make this value configurable for
> each font.  It is a non-trivial task to find the original BDF, add the
> _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ property, convert it to PCF and compress it,
> replace the proper font in the X11 font directory, run `xset fp
> rehash', and finally restart Emacs.

> [My suggestion comes from the fact that in the SuSE GNU/Linux
> distribution this property is missing for the Efont family -- I've
> already submitted a bug report.]

_MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ is a non-official property introduced
in several fonts of foundry "etl" because ascent/descent of
those fonts have intentionally wrong values so that they fit
well with CJK fonts of the same size.  So,
_MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ should be necessary only for such a
font.  Do you mean Efont family also has incorrect
ascent/descent values?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: missing docs for _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_
@ 2004-09-07 12:59   ` Werner LEMBERG
From: Werner LEMBERG @ 2004-09-07 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ is a non-official property introduced in
> several fonts of foundry "etl" because ascent/descent of those fonts
> have intentionally wrong values so that they fit well with CJK fonts
> of the same size.  So, _MULE_BASELINE_OFFSET_ should be necessary
> only for such a font.  Do you mean Efont family also has incorrect
> ascent/descent values?

Yes, since it uses (at least for 24x12) the ETL fonts.

    Werner