* Conditional partial-width-window line truncation
@ 2004-07-22 22:11 Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2004-07-22 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Often, on sufficiently large displays, it is useful to split an Emacs
frame vertically; particularly when reading source files that are
(generally) restrained to 80 columns, it would be a waste of space to do
the more usual horizontal split.  However, this interacts badly with
`truncate-partial-width-windows': in general this variable is a great
convenience, but in the case of 160-column (approximately) frames split
into two standard-width windows it is counterintuitive as the lines that
were wrapped before are now truncated in what is still a "full-width
window" as far as the user is concerned.

Might I suggest a new variable `truncate-maximum-window-width' which would
specify an upper limit on the width of windows which should be
automatically truncated when they are not a full frame wide?  The obvious
default value would be 79, although perhaps as low as 69 would be useful.

I am unfortunately an Emacs Lisp hacker but not an Emacs' C hacker, so
this suggestion is all I can give on the subject.

Thanks,
Davis Herring

PS - If this should wait until we're back on feature-addition mode, should
I re-submit it then, or what?

--
This product is sold by volume, not by mass.  If it seems too dense or too
sparse, it means mass-energy conversion has occurred during shipping.

* Re: Conditional partial-width-window line truncation
@ 2004-07-22 22:27 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2004-07-22 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 04:11:42PM -0600, Davis Herring wrote:
> Might I suggest a new variable `truncate-maximum-window-width' which would
> specify an upper limit on the width of windows which should be
> automatically truncated when they are not a full frame wide?  The obvious
> default value would be 79, although perhaps as low as 69 would be useful.

How about using `truncate-partial-width-windows' for that also -- if it's an
integer, use that as the maximum window-width for which to turn on
truncation.

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."

* Re: Conditional partial-width-window line truncation
@ 2004-07-22 22:46   ` Davis Herring
From: Davis Herring @ 2004-07-22 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> > Might I suggest a new variable `truncate-maximum-window-width' which would
> > specify an upper limit on the width of windows which should be
> > automatically truncated when they are not a full frame wide?  The obvious
> > default value would be 79, although perhaps as low as 69 would be useful.
>
> How about using `truncate-partial-width-windows' for that also -- if it's an
> integer, use that as the maximum window-width for which to turn on
> truncation.

That sounds fine to me, although then the documentation for
`truncate-lines' would then also need to be changed (at least to read "may
be overridden").

Davis

--
This product is sold by volume, not by mass.  If it seems too dense or too
sparse, it means mass-energy conversion has occurred during shipping.

Contact:
SM-1617, Room 157
Mail stop P365
(505) 606-0084

* Re: Conditional partial-width-window line truncation
@ 2004-07-24  3:01     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-07-24  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, miles

    > > Might I suggest a new variable `truncate-maximum-window-width' which would
    > > specify an upper limit on the width of windows which should be
    > > automatically truncated when they are not a full frame wide?  The obvious
    > > default value would be 79, although perhaps as low as 69 would be useful.

This is not a bad idea, but I remind people that right now we
want to focus on getting the release ready, and we don't want
to add new features unless they are very important or we have
been waiting for a while to install them.