* inappropriate whole-frame flicker
@ 2003-08-21  9:31 Miles Bader
       [not found] ` <E19qPZe-0001gV-Ey@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-08-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I noticed that when I do fairly innocuous things such as simply moving
the cursor around with C-n / C-p (without going past the window
boundaries, so it doesn't scroll), the text in the entire emacs frame
flickers; I guess it's redrawing the whole frame for each update!

I noticed this with my background-pixmaps branch, where such flicker
is a bit more obvious, but it also clearly happens with vanilla CVS
emacs.

For instance, just do:

  emacs -q

  `C-h n' to get the NEWS file.

  Move point around with C-n / C-p / C-f / C-b, being careful not to scroll.

  Watch the text flicker everywhere; even when the cursor is moving
  around, say, the top area of the window, the text on the bottom will
  flicker too.  Dragging the mouse-region around with the mouse is also
  a good way to get flicker (but that's a bit more drastic display-wise,
  so it's perhaps more defensible).

I gather that given the amount of redisplay optimization code in emacs,
this is not supposed to happen.  :-)

If no one has any idea, I'll go ahead and try to debug it, but any
pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"