* emacs arch archive
@ 2003-07-28 23:19 Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-07-28 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'd like to set up a central arch (Tom Lord's revision control system)
archive for emacs on some central gnu machine where it can be read over
by the net by others.  It would basically offer a rough mirror of the
CVS repository, and act as a synchronization point for anyone who wishes
to use arch for their own emacs hacking.

I'll try asking on the arch-users mailing list about the arch-specific
details, but I gather I basically need a publicly reachable http server
somewhere that allows read-only access to a file-tree storing the
archive.  The file-tree should be somewhere where I can get write-access
to it, as I envision just logging into fencepost periodically and adding
snapshots from the latest CVS sources to the arch archive.  I'd like to
use http because it's generally more firewall friendly than e.g. ftp.

So, (assuming no one else has done this) any advice about --

 (1) What gnu machine has an appropriate http server, and could offer
     read-only access to a filesystem writable from fencepost?

     Alternatively, I suppose, it could be setup on a machine like
     subversions, if the necessary regular remote shell-access is
     available for that machine.

 (2) arch-specific advice?

 (3) etc?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that

* Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-07-30  8:34 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-07-30  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers

For anyone that has ssh access to fencepost, I've setup the following
arch archive:

   miles@gnu.org--2003-gnu
      sftp://fencepost.gnu.org/gnu/gd/home/m/miles/arch/miles@gnu.org--2003-gnu

Whose contents look like this:

   miles@gnu.org--2003-gnu
     emacs
       emacs--cvs-trunk
         emacs--cvs-trunk--0
           base-0 .. patch-2

I intend to simply add daily snapshots from the CVS trunk to the
emacs--cvs-trunk branch.

I still don't know how I can provide external access though
(alpha.gnu.org used to be suitable for this kind of thing, as it used a
directory on fencepost, but I have no idea where it is these days, or
how to get write access to it).  Hey, savannah-hackers, any hints...?

Any other gnu mailing lists that might prove helpful?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
We have met the enemy, and he is us.  -- Pogo

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-07-31 20:01   ` Rudy Gevaert
From: Rudy Gevaert @ 2003-07-31 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel

You could try accounts@gnu.org

--
Rudy Gevaert                rudy@gnu.org
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org

* Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-08-01  2:20   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-08-01  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers, emacs-devel

    I still don't know how I can provide external access though
    (alpha.gnu.org used to be suitable for this kind of thing, as it used a
    directory on fencepost, but I have no idea where it is these days, or
    how to get write access to it).

It is probably the directory ~ftp on fencepost.

* Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-08-01  3:40     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-08-01  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers, sysadmin, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>     I still don't know how I can provide external access though
>     (alpha.gnu.org used to be suitable for this kind of thing, as it
>     used a directory on fencepost, but I have no idea where it is
>     these days, or how to get write access to it).
>
> It is probably the directory ~ftp on fencepost.

It used to be that, but now ~ftp seems to point to something random
(it only contains two subdirectories `incoming' and `outgoing', but that
doesn't resemble what's visible on alpha.gnu.org).

There's also /gnu/alpha on fencepost, which _appears_ to contains an the
old version of ~ftp, but it's not the same as what I see at
alpha.gnu.org -- it looks like maybe the current alpha was at somepoint
cloned from what's in /gnu/alpha, but it's apparently diverged quite a
bit since then.

I've also seen a plea on the arch-users mailing list, asking people to
bug savannah-hackers to allow sftp: (ssh's file-transfer protocol)
access to savannah -- this would allow arch to have R/W access to
archives stored there.

In the long-term I'd like to have a official arch archive for emacs on
savannah too (at least R/O), but in the short term anyplace that allows
public R/O html access would be nice.

So are there _any_ gnu sysadmin types out there reading this?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"Though they may have different meanings, the cries of 'Yeeeee-haw!' and
 'Allahu akbar!' are, in spirit, not actually all that different."

* Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-08-01  3:49   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-08-01  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers

BTW, I changed my archive name slightly, it's now this:

   miles@gnu.org--gnu-2003
      sftp://fencepost.gnu.org/gnu/gd/home/m/miles/arch/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2003

Whose contents look like this:

   miles@gnu.org--gnu-2003
     emacs
       emacs--cvs-trunk
         emacs--cvs-trunk--0
           base-0 .. patch-3

-Miles
--
We live, as we dream -- alone....

* Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-08-01 10:54       ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-01 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers, sysadmin, rms, emacs-devel

Miles Bader <miles@lsi.nec.co.jp> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>>     I still don't know how I can provide external access though
>>     (alpha.gnu.org used to be suitable for this kind of thing, as it
>>     used a directory on fencepost, but I have no idea where it is
>>     these days, or how to get write access to it).
>>
>> It is probably the directory ~ftp on fencepost.
>
> It used to be that, but now ~ftp seems to point to something random
> (it only contains two subdirectories `incoming' and `outgoing', but that
> doesn't resemble what's visible on alpha.gnu.org).
>
> There's also /gnu/alpha on fencepost, which _appears_ to contains an the
> old version of ~ftp, but it's not the same as what I see at
> alpha.gnu.org -- it looks like maybe the current alpha was at somepoint
> cloned from what's in /gnu/alpha, but it's apparently diverged quite a
> bit since then.

The GNU Maintenance manual is incorrect about fencepost:~ftp, I sent a
note about this earlier.

The current location for alpha.gnu.org FTP appear to be
gnuftp.gnu.org:~alpha/gnu/.

* Re: emacs arch archive
@ 2003-08-09  3:44     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-08-09  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers, cvs-hackers

Due to the recent upheaval on fencepost, the name of my emacs arch
archive has changed _again_ -- now it's:

   miles@gnu.org--gnu-2003
      sftp://fencepost.gnu.org/home/m/miles/arch/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2003

Current contents:

   miles@gnu.org--gnu-2003
     emacs
       emacs--cvs-trunk
         emacs--cvs-trunk--0
           base-0 .. patch-9

       emacs--lexbind
         emacs--lexbind--0
           base-0 .. patch-5

       emacs--miles
         emacs--miles--0
           base-0 .. patch-5

       emacs--tiling
         emacs--tiling--0
           base-0

-Miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson