* Status of Unicode integration/support
@ 2003-07-28 15:50 Tom Emerson
From: Tom Emerson @ 2003-07-28 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw

Can someone summarize the status of the Unicode implementation in the
current CVS Emacs, especially as it relates to CJK and Arabic? What,
if anything, needs to be done to build a version with this support? Is
this documented somewhere? Is it on the mainline or on a branch? If on
a branch, how often is it synchronized with the work done on the
mainline?

Currently I'm using Otfried Cheong's extensions to Mule-UCS under
20.7.2, which works well, but if there is "official" support now I'd
rather use that (I believe his code doesn't work under 21.x, for
example).

Thanks, and apologies if this should have been posted somewhere else.

    -tree

Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com

* Re: Status of Unicode integration/support
@ 2003-07-28 22:43 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2003-07-28 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:50:09AM -0400, Tom Emerson wrote:
> Can someone summarize the status of the Unicode implementation in the
> current CVS Emacs, especially as it relates to CJK and Arabic? What,
> if anything, needs to be done to build a version with this support?

I can't speak officially (nor authoritatively), but I've found that the
current CVS emacs handles CJK unicode stuff (e.g. utf-8) wonderfully if you
turn on `utf-translate-cjk-mode' (which is turned of by default to avoid
_not_ the future `unicode emacs', just the usual emacs with proper handling
of unicody encodings.

I don't think that any special attention is needed to build emacs with this
support.

Interestingly I tried setting my login LANG to `ja_JP.utf-8' for a while, and
emacs was one of the few programs that got it right; mozilla wouldn't start,
and gnome (2.2) programs crashed left and right!

-Miles

* Re: Status of Unicode integration/support
@ 2003-07-29  8:53 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-07-29  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi Tom,

Tom Emerson <tree@basistech.com> writes:
> Can someone summarize the status of the Unicode implementation in the
> current CVS Emacs, especially as it relates to CJK and Arabic?

Arabic (and Hebrew) support also needs additional code for
directionality and shaping.  Work on this is going on in
<http://www.m17n.org/emacs-bidi/>.

benny