Stephen Turnbull wrote: GNU Emacs made the change (viz. cvs diff -r EMACS_20_2 -r EMACS_20_4 subr.el) without worrying sufficiently about breaking existing code (see Stefan Reichör's post here , or run XEmacs's regression test suite on XEmacs 21.5). I don't see why that should be a barrier to reverting to the old, regular, behavior now. I did not know the history of the function. I did not subscribe to this site four years ago. If I did I would probably have opposed the original change back then, which might not have made any difference anyway. I am not part of some "Conspiracy" started four years ago as others seem to suggest. Anyway, I hope this answers the question of "And where were you four years ago?" which others asked me. I did not subscribe to emacs devel back then. Sincerely, Luc.