* CVS with ssh
@ 2002-11-23 14:24 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-11-23 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I use a cvs command I get the message :

Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.

with ssh but not with pserver.

I can live with this but if I use VC then to retrieve an earlier
version the line :

Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.

goes into the retrieved file.

Can I get rid of the message or stop it going into the file ?

Nick

* CVS with ssh
@ 2002-11-23 14:28 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-11-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I re-word that slightly ! :

When I use a cvs command I get the message :

Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.

with ssh but not with pserver.

I can live with this but if I use VC then to retrieve an earlier
version the line :

Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.

goes into the retrieved file.

Can I get rid of the message or stop it going into the file ?

Nick

* Re: CVS with ssh
@ 2002-11-23 21:51 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-23 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net> writes:

> When I use a cvs command I get the message :
> Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.

I put

    Host subversions.gnu.org
      ForwardX11 no

in ~/.ssh/config and stopped thinking about the issue.

Maybe it's also possible to tell CVS to call ssh with the -x
argument, but I don't know how.

kai

* Re: CVS with ssh
@ 2002-11-24 12:03   ` Andre Spiegel
From: Andre Spiegel @ 2002-11-24 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 2002-11-23 at 22:51, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Nick Roberts <nick@nick.uklinux.net> writes:
>
> > When I use a cvs command I get the message :
> > Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.
>
> I put
>
>     Host subversions.gnu.org
>       ForwardX11 no
>
> in ~/.ssh/config and stopped thinking about the issue.
>
> Maybe it's also possible to tell CVS to call ssh with the -x
> argument, but I don't know how.

It looks like ssh is writing a message to stdout that should actually go
to stderr, so that CVS can suppress it.  Kai is right that the easiest
fix is to silence this particular message.  To call ssh with -x from
CVS, it may be sufficient to set the CVS_RSH variable to "/usr/bin/ssh
-x", or you might write your own wrapper script that adds the option to
the command, and put the location of that wrapper script into CVS_RSH.

Which version of ssh is that?  One should probably file a bug report
about it.

* Re: CVS with ssh
@ 2002-11-24 17:21     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-11-24 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Andre Spiegel writes:

 > It looks like ssh is writing a message to stdout that should actually go
 > to stderr, so that CVS can suppress it.  Kai is right that the easiest
 > fix is to silence this particular message.  To call ssh with -x from
 > CVS, it may be sufficient to set the CVS_RSH variable to "/usr/bin/ssh
 > -x", or you might write your own wrapper script that adds the option to
 > the command, and put the location of that wrapper script into CVS_RSH.

Or is it that vc is reading stderr when it shouldn't ? If I use the
command :

cvs update -p -r 1.25 tooltip.el > tooltip.el~1.25~

then I have no problem and the line `Warning: Remote host denied X11 forwarding.'
goes to the screen.

 > Which version of ssh is that?  One should probably file a bug report
 > about it.

For the record `ssh -V' gives :

OpenSSH_2.9p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f

and I'm using Mandrake 8.1.

(And, of course, as Kai says, `ForwardX11 no' in ~/.ssh/config stops the
message.)

Nick