* Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
       [not found] <200209131650.g8DGoBI25650@arc.math.ohio-state.edu>
@ 2002-09-13 17:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-09-13 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier+gnu/emacs

> Hi.  Not a bug report, just a question:  When running cvs-examine or
> cvs-mode-revert-buffer, I get always these "new-dirs" which are marked
> "Need-Update", but apparently are obsolete.  I can't update them.  Any
> idea what is going on?

Yes, `cvs -n update' will list these as "new directory" as if `cvs update'
would bring them in.  Problem is, `cvs update' would not bring them in
if you use the `-P' option (which is generally recommended).

In other words, the problem is that `cvs -n update' ignores the `-P'
option.  It's difficult for PCL-CVS to fix it, and I couldn't
find a trivial fix in CVS itself either (although that doesn't say
much because I'm very non-familiar with the code).

One solution is to not use the `-P' option, of course.

	Stefan

PS: In earlier versions of PCL-CVS those messages were not turned into
    `Need-Update' but into mere informational messages.  Such messages
    are less annoying in your case, but `Need-Update' is the right
    thing to do in the case of a true new directory.
    The only solution I can think of is to make it a user-option,
    which is rather a cop-out.

* Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
@ 2002-09-20 19:28   ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2002-09-20 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> * In message <200209131757.g8DHv0q13875@rum.cs.yale.edu>
> * On the subject of "Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update "
> * Sent on Fri, 13 Sep 2002 13:56:59 -0400
> * Honorable "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>
> > Hi.  Not a bug report, just a question:  When running cvs-examine or
> > cvs-mode-revert-buffer, I get always these "new-dirs" which are marked
> > "Need-Update", but apparently are obsolete.  I can't update them.  Any
> > idea what is going on?
>
> Yes, `cvs -n update' will list these as "new directory" as if `cvs
> update' would bring them in.  Problem is, `cvs update' would not bring
> them in if you use the `-P' option (which is generally recommended).
>
> In other words, the problem is that `cvs -n update' ignores the `-P'
> option.  It's difficult for PCL-CVS to fix it, and I couldn't find a
> trivial fix in CVS itself either (although that doesn't say much
> because I'm very non-familiar with the code).
>
> One solution is to not use the `-P' option, of course.
>
> PS: In earlier versions of PCL-CVS those messages were not turned into
>     `Need-Update' but into mere informational messages.  Such messages
>     are less annoying in your case, but `Need-Update' is the right
>     thing to do in the case of a true new directory.
>     The only solution I can think of is to make it a user-option,
>     which is rather a cop-out.

CVS/Entries.Log contains the list of deleted directories.
Maybe you could use it to filter out this junk altogether?

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>

* Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
@ 2002-09-20 20:49     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-09-20 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> > PS: In earlier versions of PCL-CVS those messages were not turned into
> >     `Need-Update' but into mere informational messages.  Such messages
> >     are less annoying in your case, but `Need-Update' is the right
> >     thing to do in the case of a true new directory.
> >     The only solution I can think of is to make it a user-option,
> >     which is rather a cop-out.
>
> CVS/Entries.Log contains the list of deleted directories.
> Maybe you could use it to filter out this junk altogether?

Hmm... that would be awesome, but I can't find any such file here.

work/emacs-1% echo **/CVS/Entries.*
zsh: no match
work/emacs-1%

And CVS' info page indicates that Entries.Log is transient
and only used to deal with failure-during-update.

* Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
@ 2002-09-23 13:29       ` Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2002-09-23 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> * In message <200209202049.g8KKnpW14131@rum.cs.yale.edu>
> * On the subject of "Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update "
> * Sent on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:49:51 -0400
> * Honorable "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@rum.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>
> > > PS: In earlier versions of PCL-CVS those messages were not turned into
> > >     `Need-Update' but into mere informational messages.  Such messages
> > >     are less annoying in your case, but `Need-Update' is the right
> > >     thing to do in the case of a true new directory.
> > >     The only solution I can think of is to make it a user-option,
> > >     which is rather a cop-out.
> >
> > CVS/Entries.Log contains the list of deleted directories.
> > Maybe you could use it to filter out this junk altogether?
>
> Hmm... that would be awesome, but I can't find any such file here.
>
> work/emacs-1% echo **/CVS/Entries.*
> zsh: no match
> work/emacs-1%
>
> And CVS' info page indicates that Entries.Log is transient
> and only used to deal with failure-during-update.

ouch.

maybe you could report this as a bug to the CVS maintainers?
maybe you could even patch the cvs client to respect -P with -n?

Emacs is a sufficiently important application for the CVS people to
accommodate us.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds) running RedHat7.3 GNU/Linux
<http://www.camera.org> <http://www.iris.org.il> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.mideasttruth.com/> <http://www.palestine-central.com/links.html>
186,000 Miles per Second.  It's not just a good idea.  IT'S THE LAW.

* Re: cvs new-dir Need-Update
@ 2002-09-23 18:06         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-09-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> > > CVS/Entries.Log contains the list of deleted directories.
> > > Maybe you could use it to filter out this junk altogether?
> >
> > Hmm... that would be awesome, but I can't find any such file here.
> >
> > work/emacs-1% echo **/CVS/Entries.*
> > zsh: no match
> > work/emacs-1%
> >
> > And CVS' info page indicates that Entries.Log is transient
> > and only used to deal with failure-during-update.
>
> ouch.
>
> maybe you could report this as a bug to the CVS maintainers?
> maybe you could even patch the cvs client to respect -P with -n?

It's a known bug.  Feel free to try and fix it but:
1 - it's not trivial to fix.
2 - CVS maintainers don't take patches very gladly in my experience.
    At least I had trouble getting them to cooperate into bringing my
    patches to a good enough state.

I.e. I have better things to do.

> Emacs is a sufficiently important application for the CVS people to
> accommodate us.

They may very well disagree,