I have written a bot in C; source here: http://reactor-core.org/linuxos/bot.c As I was writing it, I couldn't help thinking, there must be a way to write the same thing in LISP, with 1/3 the lines of code. The largest guzzler of lines of code I think is the state machine that parses every RFC compliant IRC message into a suitable structure. Can anyone give me hints about how the same thing could be done better in elisp? I'm reluctant to use regular expressions for this. Jonathan -- Geek House Productions, Ltd. Providing Unix & Internet Contracting and Consulting, QA Testing, Technical Documentation, Systems Design & Implementation, General Programming, E-commerce, Web & Mail Services since 1998 Phone: 604-435-1205 Email: djw@reactor-core.org Webpage: http://reactor-core.org Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC V5R2W2