Speaking of read-file-name calling conventions, I'm running into a case where errors from read-file-name are not caught by condition-case even when they should be. I believe that the code snippet below should print a message in the echo area instead of going into the debugger. This happens building from the cvs trunk as of last night, but I first noticed it a few weeks ago but was too busy to produce a smaller test case. This test case attempts to call read-file-name in an xemacs-compatible fashion but trap errors from that, and is failing. (I first ran into this problem with VM.) To demonstrate the bug, load this file and run M-x foo, then type some partial file name in your current working directory and then try to complete it, e.g. I have a directory called "bin" in my home directory, and if I type M-x b, I get thrown into the elisp debugger. The backtrace is attached below. No fix yet, but I thought I'd report it in the meantime in case someone else immediately recognizes the problem.