From: Kenichi Handa <handa@etl.go.jp>
Cc: christoph.wedler@sap.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: desktop.el problem [Re: X-Symbol 4.0e; Emacs port (fwd)]
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 10:57:45 +0900 (JST)	[thread overview]

In article <200207251807.g6PI7A007627@aztec.santafe.edu>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>     Then, it's a general problem of desktop.  If a user define a
>     new charset in a session, and there's a string containing
>     that charset in kill-ring, he always fails in the next
>     session while recovering the previous session.

> Could you explain why this fails?  What does the printed representation
> of such a string look like, and how does it depend on having the character
> set loaded?

The printed representation is just a multibyte sequence
starting by a new leading code assigned at the time of
defining the charset.

This new leading code can't be treated as valid in the next
session until the charset is defined in the same way as the
previous session.

> Perhaps we should change the printed representation of such strings so
> that they can be read back in all circumstances.  If characters in
> user-defined character are written as \-sequences, would that do it?

>     It seems that the only way to solve it is to save also those
>     charset definitions.  But, saving it in .emacs.desktop is
>     useless.  We must save it in a file that is loaded before
>     .emacs.desktop is loaded.

> Could you explain the reason for that?
> Are these characters being output literally by prin1,
> and then encoded when .emacs.desktop is saved?

Yes.

> If that is so, there are many points in that sequence that we could change.

For instance?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@etl.go.jp