From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
Cc: stef.van-vlierberghe@eurocontrol.int,
	philippe.waroquiers@eurocontrol.int, twurgler@goodyear.com,
	emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [rms@gnu.org: Re: [twurgler@goodyear.com: emacs-21.2.90 on HP 11.0]]
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 07:29:00 -0600 (MDT)	[thread overview]

If you make this change, and also add

  #define USG_SUBTTY_WORKS

in hpux11.h, does everything work right?

*** process.c.~1.376.~	Mon Jul 15 05:45:00 2002
--- process.c	Mon Jul 15 14:42:52 2002
***************
*** 1562,1570 ****

    if (inchannel >= 0)
      {
! #ifndef USG
!       /* On USG systems it does not work to open the pty's tty here
! 	       and then close and reopen it in the child.  */
  #ifdef O_NOCTTY
        /* Don't let this terminal become our controlling terminal
  	 (in case we don't have one).  */
--- 1562,1570 ----

    if (inchannel >= 0)
      {
! #if ! defined (USG) || defined (USG_SUBTTY_WORKS)
!       /* On most USG systems it does not work to open the pty's tty here,
! 	 then close it and reopen it in the child.  */
  #ifdef O_NOCTTY
        /* Don't let this terminal become our controlling terminal
  	 (in case we don't have one).  */
***************
*** 1576,1582 ****
  	report_file_error ("Opening pty", Qnil);
  #else
        forkin = forkout = -1;
! #endif /* not USG */
        pty_flag = 1;
      }
    else
--- 1576,1582 ----
  	report_file_error ("Opening pty", Qnil);
  #else
        forkin = forkout = -1;
! #endif /* not USG, or USG_SUBTTY_WORKS */
        pty_flag = 1;
      }
    else
***************
*** 5027,5033 ****
      current_group = Qnil;

    /* If we are using pgrps, get a pgrp number and make it negative.  */
!   if (!NILP (current_group))
      {
  #ifdef SIGNALS_VIA_CHARACTERS
        /* If possible, send signals to the entire pgrp
--- 5027,5036 ----
      current_group = Qnil;

    /* If we are using pgrps, get a pgrp number and make it negative.  */
!   if (NILP (current_group))
!     /* Send the signal to the shell's process group.  */
!     gid = XFASTINT (p->pid);
!   else
      {
  #ifdef SIGNALS_VIA_CHARACTERS
        /* If possible, send signals to the entire pgrp
***************
*** 5122,5128 ****
  #endif /* defined (SIGNALS_VIA_CHARACTERS) */

  #ifdef TIOCGPGRP
!       /* Get the pgrp using the tty itself, if we have that.
  	 Otherwise, use the pty to get the pgrp.
  	 On pfa systems, saka@pfu.fujitsu.co.JP writes:
  	 "TIOCGPGRP symbol defined in sys/ioctl.h at E50.
--- 5125,5131 ----
  #endif /* defined (SIGNALS_VIA_CHARACTERS) */

  #ifdef TIOCGPGRP
!       /* Get the current pgrp using the tty itself, if we have that.
  	 Otherwise, use the pty to get the pgrp.
  	 On pfa systems, saka@pfu.fujitsu.co.JP writes:
  	 "TIOCGPGRP symbol defined in sys/ioctl.h at E50.
***************
*** 5137,5164 ****
  	else
  	  err = ioctl (XINT (p->infd), TIOCGPGRP, &gid);

- #ifdef pfa
  	if (err == -1)
! 	  gid = - XFASTINT (p->pid);
! #endif /* ! defined (pfa) */
        }
        if (gid == -1)
  	no_pgrp = 1;
-       else
- 	gid = - gid;
  #else  /* ! defined (TIOCGPGRP ) */
        /* Can't select pgrps on this system, so we know that
  	 the child itself heads the pgrp.  */
!       gid = - XFASTINT (p->pid);
  #endif /* ! defined (TIOCGPGRP ) */

        /* If current_group is lambda, and the shell owns the terminal,
  	 don't send any signal.  */
!       if (EQ (current_group, Qlambda) && gid == - XFASTINT (p->pid))
  	return;
      }
-   else
-     gid = - XFASTINT (p->pid);

    switch (signo)
      {
--- 5140,5167 ----
  	else
  	  err = ioctl (XINT (p->infd), TIOCGPGRP, &gid);

  	if (err == -1)
! 	  /* If we can't get the information, assume
! 	     the shell owns the tty.  */
! 	  gid = XFASTINT (p->pid);
        }
+
+       /* It is not clear whether anything really can set GID to -1.
+ 	 Perhaps on some system one of those ioctls can or could do so.
+ 	 Or perhaps this is vestigial.  */
        if (gid == -1)
  	no_pgrp = 1;
  #else  /* ! defined (TIOCGPGRP ) */
        /* Can't select pgrps on this system, so we know that
  	 the child itself heads the pgrp.  */
!       gid = XFASTINT (p->pid);
  #endif /* ! defined (TIOCGPGRP ) */

        /* If current_group is lambda, and the shell owns the terminal,
  	 don't send any signal.  */
!       if (EQ (current_group, Qlambda) && gid == XFASTINT (p->pid))
  	return;
      }

    switch (signo)
      {