* Vminibuf_selected_window
@ 2002-02-28 18:22 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-02-28 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

If it isn't a Lisp variable, it is better to remove the V from the
name so people won't think it is supposed to be a Lisp variable.

Meanwhile, I think you need to staticpro that variable
and initialize it at startup, in syms_of_window.

If you can't prove the window is always pointed to elsewhere,
then the staticpro is needed.

If you can prove that the window cannot remain there
without being pointed to and thus preserved by other live data,
then the staticpro is not necessary, but you should state
the reasoning in a comment next to the variable.  However,
it might be safer to put in the staticpro anyway.

* Re: Vminibuf_selected_window
@ 2002-02-28 22:19 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-02-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If it isn't a Lisp variable, it is better to remove the V from the
> name so people won't think it is supposed to be a Lisp variable.
Ok, done.

> Meanwhile, I think you need to staticpro that variable
> and initialize it at startup, in syms_of_window.
I've done that.  Thanks.

* Re: Vminibuf_selected_window
@ 2002-03-01  1:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-03-01  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm, emacs-devel

> If it isn't a Lisp variable, it is better to remove the V from the
> name so people won't think it is supposed to be a Lisp variable.

I think it should be a lisp variable.  I've wished for this exact
variable when I tried to implement a `pull-word-from-source-buffer'
command so that I can get isearch's C-w thingy in all minibuffers.

* Re: Vminibuf_selected_window
@ 2002-03-01 11:01   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-03-01 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/emacs@RUM.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > If it isn't a Lisp variable, it is better to remove the V from the
> > name so people won't think it is supposed to be a Lisp variable.
>
> I think it should be a lisp variable.  I've wished for this exact
> variable when I tried to implement a `pull-word-from-source-buffer'
> command so that I can get isearch's C-w thingy in all minibuffers.

Since it is read-only, a function `minibuffer-selected-window' would
be the proper interface IMO.  If that's ok, I'll add it.

Ok?

* Re: Vminibuf_selected_window
@ 2002-03-01 18:24     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2002-03-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

> > > If it isn't a Lisp variable, it is better to remove the V from the
> > > name so people won't think it is supposed to be a Lisp variable.
> >
> > I think it should be a lisp variable.  I've wished for this exact
> > variable when I tried to implement a `pull-word-from-source-buffer'
> > command so that I can get isearch's C-w thingy in all minibuffers.
>
> Since it is read-only, a function `minibuffer-selected-window' would
> be the proper interface IMO.  If that's ok, I'll add it.

That would work as well.  Or you can mark the variable as read-only.