* Re: [yidong@stanford.edu: Lisp file permissions after install]
       [not found] <E16JHw8-0003X5-00@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2002-02-28 18:45 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2002-02-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Sorry about the delay; my mailbox overflowed.]

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 12:33:52 -0500
>
> The easy way to fix this is to do chown with -R.  But I think that -R
> in chown is a fairly new feature--perhaps a GNU-only feature, or
> perhaps a POSIX feature--and it might not work universally.
>
> Does anyone have another suggestion?

The following command should be portable even to older hosts:

find DIR -exec chown user {} ';'

> I'm surprised that the command
>
> 	  && (echo "Copying $${dir} to $${dest}..." ; \
> 	      (cd $${dir}; tar -chf - . ) \
> 		| (cd $${dest}; umask 022; \
>                    tar -xvf - && cat > /dev/null) || exit 1; \
>
> does not make the new files with root as owner.
> GNU tar has an option `--same-owner' that seems to ask
> for such behavior, which would seem to imply that the
> default behavior should be something different.
>
> Eggert, can you tell us anything about this?
> Are there other tar versions which preserve the owner by default?

That's the typical behavior, when tar is invoked by root.  In some
Unix implementations tar has an -o option to disable this, but -o has
a different meaning with GNU tar.  So it is a bit of a portability
problem.

* Re: [yidong@stanford.edu: Lisp file permissions after install]
@ 2002-03-03 14:40   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-03-03 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    The following command should be portable even to older hosts:

    find DIR -exec chown user {} ';'

I installed changes based on that--could you possibly check them?