* [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-11-30 23:30 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-11-30 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at

  https://elpa.gnu.org

The changes are mostly cosmetic ones:

- new design, color palette & logo based on the Emacs logo
- the entire website is responsive
- the package listing page features a search input with live results

I haven't changed any content on the homepage, but feel free to suggest
improvements & additions.

Thank you Stefan for putting it online!

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-11-30 23:39 ` Kaushal Modi
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2016-11-30 23:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, Emacs Devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Looks awesome! Thanks for putting work into this.

--

Kaushal Modi

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-01  0:05 ` Clément Pit--Claudel
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-12-01  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Thanks! As usual, this looks wonderful :)
Some questions:

* Do we have data on package downloads? This would be nice.
* Do we want to keep alphabetical sorting? I'm not sure what the alternative would be.  Latest change? Or download counts?
* Can we list the last update in the package list too?
* Can we (should we?) render package descriptions in monospace?
* Should we prettify `' pairs to ‘’?
* Do we want to add more detailed instructions to package pages? (like "to install this package, run M-x package-install …")
* Where are changelogs taken from?

Thanks for the hard work! It's great.

On 2016-11-30 18:30, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at
>
>   https://elpa.gnu.org
>
> The changes are mostly cosmetic ones:
>
> - new design, color palette & logo based on the Emacs logo
> - the entire website is responsive
> - the package listing page features a search input with live results
>
> I haven't changed any content on the homepage, but feel free to suggest
> improvements & additions.
>
> Thank you Stefan for putting it online!
>
> Cheers,
> Nico

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-01  0:35 ` Daniel Colascione
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Daniel Colascione @ 2016-12-01  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

On Thu, Dec 01 2016, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at
>
>   https://elpa.gnu.org
>
> The changes are mostly cosmetic ones:
>
> - new design, color palette & logo based on the Emacs logo
> - the entire website is responsive
> - the package listing page features a search input with live results
>
> I haven't changed any content on the homepage, but feel free to suggest
> improvements & additions.
>
> Thank you Stefan for putting it online!

I like it!

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-01  1:42 ` Alex Dunn
From: Alex Dunn @ 2016-12-01  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, Emacs Devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Looks great!

Is there any reason why the package list can’t itself be on the main
page?  That’s probably what everyone is looking for who visits the site,
so it would save a lot of clicks to have everything on one page.

@ 2016-12-01 12:49   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-01 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel, emacs-devel

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:

> * Do we have data on package downloads? This would be nice.

No, we don't have anything like that.

> * Do we want to keep alphabetical sorting? I'm not sure what the
> alternative would be.  Latest change? Or download counts?

I'd keep alphabetical sorting, at least for now.

> * Can we list the last update in the package list too?

Yes, that we could do :-)

> * Can we (should we?) render package descriptions in monospace?

Why not, it's already rendered it a `<pre>' tag.

> * Should we prettify `' pairs to ‘’?

I don't really mind.

> * Do we want to add more detailed instructions to package pages? (like
> "to install this package, run M-x package-install …")

Do you mean adding installation instructions on each package page?

@ 2016-12-01 12:50   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-01 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Dunn, Emacs Devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Alex Dunn <dunn.alex@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks great!

Thanks :)

> Is there any reason why the package list can’t itself be on the main
> page?

The only reason is that I haven't changed the content of the index page,
but that's something we could definitely do.

@ 2016-12-01 14:26     ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-12-01 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

On 2016-12-01 07:49, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> * Do we have data on package downloads? This would be nice.
>
> No, we don't have anything like that.

I wonder how hard it would be to get.  I also wonder how much of a disincentive the lack of download statistics creates.

>> * Can we (should we?) render package descriptions in monospace?
>
> Why not, it's already rendered it a `<pre>' tag.

Neat; I've come across a few examples that looked weird in variable-pitch.

>> * Do we want to add more detailed instructions to package pages? (like
>> "to install this package, run M-x package-install …")
>
> Do you mean adding installation instructions on each package page?

Yup; a short line of template text, adjusted to that package.  In the style of Github's "merge this PR from the command line" instructions.

Where are changelogs taken from, btw?

Thanks again for the hard work!
Clément.

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-01 14:35       ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel, emacs-devel

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder how hard it would be to get.  I also wonder how much of a
> disincentive the lack of download statistics creates.

Stefan mentioned to me that we in fact have the access logs, so we could
use that to count package downloads.

> Neat; I've come across a few examples that looked weird in
> variable-pitch.

Yes, I'll do an update.

>> Do you mean adding installation instructions on each package page?
>
> Yup; a short line of template text, adjusted to that package.  In the
> style of Github's "merge this PR from the command line" instructions.

That would be nice indeed, I'll add that.

> Where are changelogs taken from, btw?

What changelogs are you referring to?

@ 2016-12-01 14:44         ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-12-01 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

On 2016-12-01 09:35, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> What changelogs are you referring to?

I was thinking of the NEWS section on https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ascii-art-to-unicode.html, for example

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-01 15:51           ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel, emacs-devel

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:

> I was thinking of the NEWS section on
> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ascii-art-to-unicode.html, for example

It comes from the ELPA repository:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/packages/ascii-art-to-unicode/NEWS

The code generating the HTML page is looking for a file named "News",
"News.rst", "News.md" or "News.org".

@ 2016-12-01 23:08   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-01 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel, emacs-devel

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:

Hi!

I worked on a much better version of the package pages:

> * Can we (should we?) render package descriptions in monospace?

Done!

> * Do we want to add more detailed instructions to package pages? (like
> "to install this package, run M-x package-install …")

Done as well :-)

I also improved the first section of the page with the description of
the package.  It now uses a better markup and should look much nicer.

@ 2016-12-01 23:35     ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-12-01 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

On 2016-12-01 18:08, Nicolas Petton wrote:
> I also improved the first section of the page with the description of
> the package.  It now uses a better markup and should look much nicer.

It does :)

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-03  7:03             ` Matthew Carter
From: Matthew Carter @ 2016-12-03  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: Clément Pit--Claudel, emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I was thinking of the NEWS section on
>> https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ascii-art-to-unicode.html, for example
>
> It comes from the ELPA repository:
>
>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/tree/packages/ascii-art-to-unicode/NEWS
>
> The code generating the HTML page is looking for a file named "News",
> "News.rst", "News.md" or "News.org".
>
> Nico

For the theme I added to ELPA:
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ahungry-theme.html, I do not have any of
those files, however I do have the following comment format in the main
ahungry-theme.el file:

;;; News:

;;;; Changes since 1.2.0:
;; - Few new faces related to helm-grep search results (poor contrast previously)

It comes after Commentary: and before Code: sections (so that's another
way to keep the news on the site updated, by simply annotating in the
main file).

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://ahungry.com

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-03  7:04       ` Matthew Carter
From: Matthew Carter @ 2016-12-03  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, emacs-devel

Clément Pit--Claudel <clement.pit@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2016-12-01 18:08, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>> I also improved the first section of the page with the description of
>> the package.  It now uses a better markup and should look much nicer.
>
> It does :)

Looks great!

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://ahungry.com

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-09  1:05 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2016-12-09  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton, Emacs Devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Hi Nicolas,

On 01.12.2016 01:30, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at
>
>   https://elpa.gnu.org

Thank you for the new design, it a definite improvement.

A couple of notes:

- The logo (both versions) looks a little blurry to me, like the text's
edges in "ξlpa" are less definite than in "GNU Emacs Lisp Package
Archive" below it. Although that might have everything to do with me
using a 4K monitor.

- The phrase "Since you'll probably want to use your installed packages,
..." is a bit jarring.

First, you _can_ use most of the packages (maybe not all (?), but close)
without that, as long as you limit the relevant configuration to
add-hook, eval-after-load, setq and auto-mode-alist entries.

In fact, I recommend adding `global-company-mode' (a global mode
function) to `after-init-hook' instead of evaluating it directly. That
works whether (package-initialize) is in the user's init script, or not.

But if we do consider it a good practice, writing about it in a "by the
way" fashion on ELPA's website seems odd. A technical solution seems in
order.

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-09  1:58   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-12-09  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, Emacs Devel

> But if we do consider it a good practice, writing about it in a "by the way"
> fashion on ELPA's website seems odd. A technical solution seems in order.

Don't we have such a technical solution already in Emacs-25 where
(package-initialize) is automatically added to a user's ~/.emacs ?

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-12-09  9:15 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2016-12-09  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> The new website for GNU ELPA is (finally!) online at
>
>   https://elpa.gnu.org

Looks great.  Thanks Nicolas!

It might be nice if the header/logo line would have a link back to the
start page or the list of packages.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club

* Re: [announce] The new website for GNU ELPA is online
@ 2016-12-09 10:06   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-09 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov, Emacs Devel; +Cc: Stefan Monnier

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Hi Nicolas,

Hi Dmitry,

> A couple of notes:
>
> - The logo (both versions) looks a little blurry to me, like the text's
> edges in "ξlpa" are less definite than in "GNU Emacs Lisp Package
> Archive" below it. Although that might have everything to do with me
> using a 4K monitor.

Oh, yes, most probably.  I don't have such a monitor, but I'll ask a
colleague to see by myself.

> - The phrase "Since you'll probably want to use your installed packages,
> ..." is a bit jarring.
>
> First, you _can_ use most of the packages (maybe not all (?), but close)
> without that, as long as you limit the relevant configuration to
> add-hook, eval-after-load, setq and auto-mode-alist entries.
>
> In fact, I recommend adding `global-company-mode' (a global mode
> function) to `after-init-hook' instead of evaluating it directly. That
> works whether (package-initialize) is in the user's init script, or not.
>
> But if we do consider it a good practice, writing about it in a "by the
> way" fashion on ELPA's website seems odd. A technical solution seems in
> order.

Indeed!  I haven't changed any content yet, I only did cosmetic changes.

If you (or others) have other remarks regarding the content of the
website, let me know :-)

@ 2016-12-09 10:07   ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2016-12-09 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus, emacs-devel

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> It might be nice if the header/logo line would have a link back to the
> start page or the list of packages.

Yes, I'll add that!

@ 2016-12-09 13:06     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-12-09 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: Emacs Devel, Stefan Monnier, Dmitry Gutov

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 5:06 PM, Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> wrote:

>> - The logo (both versions) looks a little blurry to me, like the text's
>> edges in "ξlpa" are less definite than in "GNU Emacs Lisp Package
>> Archive" below it. Although that might have everything to do with me
>> using a 4K monitor.
>
> Oh, yes, most probably.  I don't have such a monitor, but I'll ask a
> colleague to see by myself.

Indeed, normal pixel density images will look blurry on a high-density
monitor. (“4K” does not directly mean “HiDPI”; depends on the monitor
diagonal. Also, DPI alone is not a meaningful metric; “DPI at normal
viewing distance” or “device pixels per degree” are better.)

To see the image as your HiDPI(-at-normal-distance) users will, zoom
to 200% in your browser and optionally double the viewing distance.

To counter this problem, you have three options, in decreasing order
of preference:

* Use vector graphics (SVG) where possible. Good for text and line art
if you don’t have to support Internet Explorer 8. Additional advantage
is that file size decreases.

* Provide the image at twice the width and twice the height and scale
to normal pixel width using CSS. Good for photos because the above
solution is not possible; somewhat wasteful for text and line art.

* Add a CSS rule that switches to nearest-neighbor scaling:
image-rendering: -moz-crisp-edges for Firefox or image-rendering:
pixelated for Webkit-based browsers. Good for pixel art and
screenshots, but browser support is non-uniform.