From: Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org>
To: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc: emacs-devel emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Patch Makefile.in to remove .DS_Store on MacOSX
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:45:15 -0400	[thread overview]

On Aug 18, 2009, at 10:25, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Who's "we"?  I was using subversion for quite a while to manage my
>> local
>> development tree.  I just couldn't use it directly from the FSF
>> machines;
>> I had to do my own mirroring.  And I did, in fact, keep  deletion
>> of .svn
>> subdirectories as one of my local changes as a result.
>
> That doesn't seem like a problem: the whole reason for you to use such
> a VCS was to keep track of local changes, so handling local changes is
> obviously not a problem.

Sure, it worked, but we could either make it unnecessary (by copying
just the desired files or file name patterns), or make it easier to
change the list to be removed after copying.  Currently it's buried
down in one of many multi-line commands in a makefile target for which
the rules are over 130 lines long.  And if it's a directory you need
to add to the list, actually you probably want to make two changes,
one to delete it, and one to get 'find' to not look around inside it
for more things to delete explicitly.

Ken