* RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function
@ 2004-11-24 14:44 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-24 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> and between each pass of the loop it is interruptable..well, but of
>> course there remains the problem - how to interrupt if one pass
>> takes long
>> time...
>
> Google for `while-no-input'.

Done - after reading the whole thread i can say: I agree at 100% with you and Kim.
Such a macro would be very important especially for a program like Emacs which
has still not thread-feature like Java, C++ et. al. IMHO this is one of the
most important any annoying lacks of emacs-lisp and for programmers...
And i agree with Kim that especially people working with remote-paths and
packages which makes this completely transparent (like tramp, ange-ftp and efs)
would profite a lot from such a macro like while-no-input -

The current discussion how to enable tools like ECB to display some state-value
for files (as the VC-state-values) where the computation could be expensive
is IMHO a good example to demonstrate the need of such feature - so we have no
threads avaliable in emacs-lisp to perform such expensive tasks in the background
without blocking the user of Emacs but we could at least offer the users of
such tools a way how to easily (hitting C-g is not acceptable) interrupt also
"atomic" calls as call of call-process etc...

Well, Stefan - this thread was discussed in 2002 - what is current state of
this while-no-input???

>> Hmm, now i'm confused... ECB needs a function how to get the
>> VC-state. Well, the user can customize which function ECB should
>> use.  But if he should
>> not use `vc-recompute-state' how he should get fresh-but-slow state??
>
> Oh, you're right I got confused: vc-cvs-heuristic-state doesn't pay
> attention to vc-cvs-stay-local.  Hmmm....
> I guess VC could/should provide a function like vc-recompute-state or
> vc-check-for-updates.  Currently this operation is only provided as
> part of vc-next-action, but it might be nice to decouple the two.

Yes, see my discussion with Andre about this...

Klaus

@ 2004-12-03  7:32 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-12-03  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>  > There's vc-cvs-stay-local, it's customizable, it does what you
>  want. > Don't use vc-cvs-stay-local (of course): just tell your
> users that if they
>  > want fresh-but-slow state, they can tweak that variable.
>
> What would be wrong with ECB doing
>
> (let ((vc-cvs-stay-local nil))
>    (vc-state FILE))

vc-cvs-stay-local does not infect vc-state - vc-state calls always(!)
vc-cvs-state-heuristic (in case of CVS) and this function doesn
not use this variable!

Only vc-recompute-state (and the delegation to vc-cvs-state) use it..

Klaus

* RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function
@ 2004-11-24 12:11 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-24 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

Andre Spiegel wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 12:04 +0100, klaus.berndl@sdm.de wrote:
>
>> If i have understood you right - there is currently no really
>> acceptable way (concering performance) to display in a file-browser
>> icons which always reflect the real (not heuristic) state of a file,
>> right?
>
> The only way to get this information is to call "cvs status", and that
> is indeed unacceptably slow if you do it for every display update.
> There might be a clever shortcut looking at the RCS master files if
> the repository is local, but we never thought it was worth the
> trouble.

I agree... but i have tested calling vc-recompute-state (vc-cvs-stay-local nil)
with local repositories - IMHO this is acceptable fast - but
unfortunatelly real local repositories will be seldom - at least in
real projects i assume - and running vc-recompute-state against
a repository in a LAN-network (an often case i think) is surely faster
then ageianst a remote-repository like at Sourceforge but probably
still to slow...for displaying the state in a file-browser...

> If you decide that vc-recompute-state would suit your needs after all
> (and your case is convincing :-) then please let me know and we can
> place it into vc-hooks.el (or autoload it).

IMHO it would be good if vc-recompute-state could be made an "official"
interface for packages which are interested in the VC-state of certain
files - IMHO vc-state and vc-recompute-state should have the same
specification and should be alternatives... This would great!

Then ECB (or the user of ECB :-) could decide if the access to its
repositories is fast enough to use `vc-recompute-state' with tha advantage
getting always the correct VC-state being display in the file-browser
of ECB or not (then vc-state will fit his needs...)

Thoughts?

Ciao
Klaus

* RE: vc-state always calls heuristic function
@ 2004-11-24 11:08 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-24 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

klaus.berndl@sdm.de wrote:
> Thanks a lot for this detailed explanation, Andre!!
> No i understand...
    ^
Typo...Must be "Now" instead of "No" ! ;-)

@ 2004-11-24 11:04 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-24 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

@ 2004-11-24  8:39 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-24  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> The next version of ECB (Emacs Code browser) will display the
>> VC-state
>> of sourcefiles with image-icons in its special browsable
>> tree-windows.
>> For this a function is needed to compute the VC-state of a file.
>> Whic one
>> is used is customizable in an option of ECB - and currently
>> `vc-state' is used per default for the backend CVS, RCS and SCCS...
>> and i have wondered
>> if there is a function available which performs real checks not only
>> heuristic - now i know such a function - thanks Stefan!
>> I think i will not use vc-recompute-state per default because
>> especially with remote repositories this can be very expensive -
>> even the state-check is performed stealthy and interruptable in the
>> background as with ECB.
>
> It's only interruptible with C-g, right?  I don't call that very
> "stealth" if it forces me to hit C-g (or to wait for tens of seconds).

I agree - this i wouldn't call interruptable and stealth too ;-) But in fact the
stealth-mechanism of ECB allows running arbitrary tasks when Emacs is
idle (customizable delay) and all are interruptable by any keypress or
mouse-action...

I do this via (simplified):

            (while (and (not (input-pending-p))

means a stealthy task (e.g. checking the VC-state for a set of currently
displayed files in the file-browser of ECB) process this set in a while-loop
and between each pass of the loop it is interruptable..well, but of course there
remains the problem - how to interrupt if one pass takes long time...
here i have currently no real good idea how to interrupt that (unless using
C-g)...of course a potential expensive task line the VC-check could be implementes
via asynchron cvs-calls (start-process etc...) but then i can not use the VC-code
and moreover it would be qute compilcated to implement this... So if you have a
good idea..... ;-)

Do you call this stealth?

@ 2004-11-23 17:31 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-23 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> You see, that always the heuristic method of a backend is used
>> [(vc-call state-heuristic file)] - even if a backend offers also
>> a "real" statechecker. E.g. vc-cvs.el offers `vc-cvs-state' and
>> `vc-cvs-state-heuristic'... But current implementation of `vc-state'
>> will never use `vc-cvs-state'! Why??
>
> Why not?
>
>> IMHO there should be a way so a user can customize if `vc-state'
>> should use the heuristic approach or the real state-check if a
>> backend offers both of them. What do you think?
>
> It's the responsability of the backend.
> vc.el uses `state-heuristic' when a heuristic is enough (e.g. in
> vc-state) and uses `state' when it really needs fresh data (in
> `vc-recompute-state').

ah, i didn't know the function `vc-recompute-state' - my fault..

@ 2004-11-23 16:57 klaus.berndl
From: klaus.berndl @ 2004-11-23 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the current implementation of the vc-state-function:

(defun vc-state (file)
  "Return the version control state of FILE.
  ..."
  ;; FIXME: New (sub)states needed (?):
  ;; - `added' (i.e. `edited' but with no base version yet,
  ;;            typically represented by vc-workfile-version = "0")
  ;; - `conflict' (i.e. `edited' with conflict markers)
  ;; - `removed'
  ;; - `copied' and `moved' (might be handled by `removed' and `added')
  (or (vc-file-getprop file 'vc-state)
      (if (vc-backend file)
          (vc-file-setprop file 'vc-state
                           (vc-call state-heuristic file)))))

You see, that always the heuristic method of a backend is used
[(vc-call state-heuristic file)] - even if a backend offers also
a "real" statechecker. E.g. vc-cvs.el offers `vc-cvs-state' and
`vc-cvs-state-heuristic'... But current implementation of `vc-state'
will never use `vc-cvs-state'! Why??

IMHO there should be a way so a user can customize if `vc-state' should
use the heuristic approach or the real state-check if a backend offers
both of them. What do you think?

Ciao,
Klaus

Klaus Berndl                     mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG                         http://www.sdm.de
software design & management
Carl-Wery-Str. 42, 81739 Muenchen, Germany
Tel +49 89 63812-392, Fax -220