* Restore GDB/MI fuctionality removed by r99212
@ 2010-03-28 12:38 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-03-28 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: emacs-devel

This change:

    revno: 99756
    committer: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
    branch nick: trunk
    timestamp: Sun 2010-03-28 02:27:43 +1300
    message:
      Restore GDB/MI fuctionality removed by r99212:

      added:
	lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
      removed:
	lisp/progmodes/gdb-ui.el
      modified:
	doc/emacs/building.texi
	doc/emacs/emacs.texi
	etc/NEWS
	lisp/Makefile.in
	lisp/progmodes/gud.el

has no entries in the pertinent ChangeLog files.  I think it should
have them.

Also, I think ldefs-boot.el should be updated as well, as it now has
references to gdb-ui.el that is no longer in the tree.

* Restore GDB/MI fuctionality removed by r99212
@ 2010-03-28 21:52 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2010-03-28 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > This change:
 >
 >     revno: 99756
 >     committer: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
 >     branch nick: trunk
 >     timestamp: Sun 2010-03-28 02:27:43 +1300
 >     message:
 >       Restore GDB/MI fuctionality removed by r99212:
 >
 >       added:
 > 	lisp/progmodes/gdb-mi.el
 >       removed:
 > 	lisp/progmodes/gdb-ui.el
 >       modified:
 > 	doc/emacs/building.texi
 > 	doc/emacs/emacs.texi
 > 	etc/NEWS
 > 	lisp/Makefile.in
 > 	lisp/progmodes/gud.el
 >
 > has no entries in the pertinent ChangeLog files.  I think it should
 > have them.

That's because you can get this changeset information from "bzr log -v".  which
includes the names of all files that have been committed (actually there is
one ChangeLog entry in the parent directory).  I think he ChangeLog file is a
throwback to CVS file based commits.  We seem to get all the headaches of Bzr
and none of the benefits.  It's probably been discussed before but ISTR at
that time RMS appeared to think that "bzr log" required a remote connection
when, in reality, it just retrieves information locally.  I don't want to
campaign for this, so if people still want ChangeLog files I will add the
entries.

 > Also, I think ldefs-boot.el should be updated as well, as it now has
 > references to gdb-ui.el that is no longer in the tree.

OK thanks, I didn't realise that.  I've updated this file now (this one
doesn't appear to get a ChangeLog entry.

--
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob

* Re: Restore GDB/MI fuctionality removed by r99212
@ 2010-03-28 23:34   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-03-28 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> I think he ChangeLog file is a throwback to CVS file based commits.

That can be, but we still use it and it should be kept up-to-date, until
we decide to use something else.

* Re: Restore GDB/MI fuctionality removed by r99212
@ 2010-03-30  0:39     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2010-03-30  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

 > > I think he ChangeLog file is a throwback to CVS file based commits.
 >
 > That can be, but we still use it and it should be kept up-to-date, until
 > we decide to use something else.

I thought we had decided to use something else, namely, Bzr.  In any case,
I've added ChangeLog entries.

--
Nick                                           http://users.snap.net.nz/~nickrob