* url: url-basepath
@ 2008-10-30 13:25 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-10-30 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

This function disappeared from the emacs 23 version of url at
some point.
It's used by W3, I'd like to see this function restored if
possible.

Here is the original code:
(defun url-basepath (file &optional x)
  "Return the base pathname of FILE, or the actual filename if X is true."
  (cond
   ((null file) "")
   ((string-match (eval-when-compile (regexp-quote "?")) file)
    (if x
	(file-name-nondirectory (substring file 0 (match-beginning 0)))
      (file-name-directory (substring file 0 (match-beginning 0)))))
   (x (file-name-nondirectory file))
   (t (file-name-directory file))))

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: url: url-basepath
@ 2008-11-03 22:31 ` Magnus Henoch
From: Magnus Henoch @ 2008-11-03 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> This function disappeared from the emacs 23 version of url at
> some point.
> It's used by W3, I'd like to see this function restored if
> possible.

I fixed this in the Git version of W3 a while ago.

(Speaking of which, I should probably make a release to spread the pile
of bug fixes further, even though W3 is still in need of quite a lot of
work)

Magnus

* Re: url: url-basepath
@ 2008-11-04 17:13 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-11-04 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> This function disappeared from the emacs 23 version of url at some
> point.  It's used by W3, I'd like to see this function restored if
> possible.

It was renamed to url-file-directory.  I checked in a change aliasing
url-basepath to url-file-directory, so it should work now.

* Re: url: url-basepath
@ 2008-11-05 12:31   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2008-11-05 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

    > This function disappeared from the emacs 23 version of url at some
    > point.  It's used by W3, I'd like to see this function restored if
    > possible.

    It was renamed to url-file-directory.  I checked in a change aliasing
    url-basepath to url-file-directory, so it should work now.

W3 should use the new name, and set up an alias to the old name if
necessary.  That way, we can delete this alias in a couple of years.
And the alias should have a comment reminding us to do this.