* How to report a bug to the bug tracker?
@ 2008-09-02 10:57 Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-09-02 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Development

Assuming I don't want to use M-x report-emacs-bug (because I don't
have Emacs set up for sending mail from Windows), what is the
procedure to send a bug report? Just sending mail to
emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org will do?

 Juanma

* Re: How to report a bug to the bug tracker?
@ 2008-09-02 13:09 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-09-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Emacs Development

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> Assuming I don't want to use M-x report-emacs-bug (because I don't
> have Emacs set up for sending mail from Windows), what is the
> procedure to send a bug report? Just sending mail to
> emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org will do?

Yes, or bug-gnu-emacs.  Afterwards, when replying to a thread about a
bug, CC [BugNumber]@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com instead of
emacs-pretest-bug or bug-gnu-emacs (which would create a new bug
number).

* Re: How to report a bug to the bug tracker?
@ 2008-09-02 16:04   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-09-02 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Juanma Barranquero, Emacs Development

Chong Yidong wrote:

> "Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Assuming I don't want to use M-x report-emacs-bug (because I don't
>> have Emacs set up for sending mail from Windows), what is the
>> procedure to send a bug report? Just sending mail to
>> emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org will do?
>
> Yes, or bug-gnu-emacs.

Or submit@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com, or quiet@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.

Then you can specify tags, severity etc in the submission. The "quiet"
address just creates a database entry, and does not send mail to the
bug list.

* Re: How to report a bug to the bug tracker?
@ 2008-09-02 16:08     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-09-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong, Juanma Barranquero, Emacs developers

Glenn Morris wrote (on Tue, 2 Sep 2008 at 12:04 -0400):

> Or submit@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com, or quiet@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com.
>
> Then you can specify tags, severity etc in the submission.

Actually, you can do that whichever address you use. I guess "quiet"
is the only one that makes any difference.

* Re: How to report a bug to the bug tracker?
@ 2008-09-03  2:28 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2008-09-03  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: Juanma Barranquero, Emacs Development

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

 > Assuming I don't want to use M-x report-emacs-bug (because I don't
 > have Emacs set up for sending mail from Windows), what is the
 > procedure to send a bug report? Just sending mail to
 > emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org will do?

I don't understand what mail capability has to do with it.  The
maintainers want the environment information provided by M-x
report-emacs-bug, I would assume.  So finish your report with C-x C-w
instead of C-c C-c, that's all.  (Obviously, you can judge for
yourself when you can dispense with the environment information.)

Then fire up your mailer and include or attach the saved report.

* Re: How to report a bug to the bug tracker?
@ 2008-09-03  7:35   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-09-03  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Development

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 04:28, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:

> (Obviously, you can judge for
> yourself when you can dispense with the environment information.)

That's what I usually do: dispense with the environment information,
which is often irrelevant.

  Juanma