Not sure if the following is a regression, or just an incompatible change. When editing some 500 line bash script today, I had the impression that editing was quite sluggish in 22.2, as compared to 22.1. I've prepared a minimal example to reproduce the different behaviour: 1. Open attached file test.sh with "emacs -Q" 2. Remove one of the double quotes inside function foo() While in 22.1 fontification of function bar() is delayed by 0.5 seconds, namely the default value of jit-lock-context-time, it is immediate in 22.2. For large buffers this leads to the sluggish behaviour mentioned above. Is it possible that jit-lock-context-time is no longer honoured under some circumstances? Ulrich