* Emacs CVS And VM Breakages
@ 2008-02-12 14:29 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-02-12 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I reverted to CVS version of Feb 1, and all of the problems I
reported earlier e.g. VM  losing the body of a message on sending
have disappeared.

The problem returns if I move to CVS from Feb 4.

Here are the breakages I saw --- initially I suspected dbus
because I  Had recently enabled it in my config for the build,
and I  dont run X on my machine. That might still be a factor ---
not sure.

Weirdness I observed:

0)  All vm send commands lost the message body.
1) mspools.el -- only some of the keybindings defined in mspools
mode were available -- for example 'n' and 'q' were not bound.

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: Emacs CVS And VM Breakages
@ 2008-02-13  2:42 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-02-13  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
> I reverted to CVS version of Feb 1, and all of the problems I
> reported earlier e.g. VM  losing the body of a message on sending
> have disappeared.

The internal representation of non-ASCII text in Emacs has changed (it
is now based on a superset of utf8, rather than the old "emacs-mule"
encoding).

My recollection (from years past though) is that VM has historically
been a bit flaky about handling non-ASCII text, so it's not surprising
such a change would expose bugs in VM.  I'd suggest contacting the VM
maintainer.

-Miles

--
Witch, n. 1, an ugly and repulsive old woman in a wicked league with the Devil;
2, a beautiful and attractive young woman in wickedness a league beyond the

* Re: Emacs CVS And VM Breakages
@ 2008-02-14 14:17   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-02-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: miles; +Cc: raman, emacs-devel

I sent email to the current maintainer of VM.

Note however that that was not the only breakage -- see bits
about mspools.el.

In general things felt sufficiently broken to cause me to roll back.

--

@ 2008-02-14 15:03     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-02-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-devel, miles

> In general things felt sufficiently broken to cause me to roll back.

Well, this *is* "in development bleeding edge" code,

        Stefan

Miles> "T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:
>>> I reverted to CVS version of Feb 1, and all of the
>>> problems I reported earlier e.g. VM losing the body of a
>>> message on sending have disappeared.
Miles>
Miles> The internal representation of non-ASCII text in Emacs
Miles> has changed (it is now based on a superset of utf8,
Miles> rather than the old "emacs-mule" encoding).
Miles>
Miles> My recollection (from years past though) is that VM
Miles> has historically been a bit flaky about handling
Miles> non-ASCII text, so it's not surprising such a change
Miles> would expose bugs in VM.  I'd suggest contacting the
Miles> VM maintainer.
Miles>
Miles> -Miles
Miles>
Miles> -- Witch, n. 1, an ugly and repulsive old woman in a
Miles> wicked league with the Devil; 2, a beautiful and
Miles> attractive young woman in wickedness a league beyond
Miles> the Devil.

@ 2008-02-15  3:50       ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2008-02-15  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier; +Cc: miles, raman, emacs-devel

Well, Iwas reporting a breakage. I didn't assert it shouldn't be
broken; on the other hand, how would you know that it was broken
if no one told you?

    >> In general things felt sufficiently broken to cause me to
    >> roll back.
    Stefan> Well, this *is* "in development bleeding edge" code,
    Stefan>

    Stefan>         Stefan

    Miles> The internal representation of non-ASCII text in Emacs
    Miles> has changed (it is now based on a superset of utf8,
    Miles> rather than the old "emacs-mule" encoding).
    Miles>
    Miles> My recollection (from years past though) is that VM
    Miles> has historically been a bit flaky about handling
    Miles> non-ASCII text, so it's not surprising such a change
    Miles> would expose bugs in VM.  I'd suggest contacting the
    Miles> VM maintainer.
    Miles>
    Miles> -Miles
    Miles>
    Miles> -- Witch, n. 1, an ugly and repulsive old woman in a
    Miles> wicked league with the Devil; 2, a beautiful and
    Miles> attractive young woman in wickedness a league beyond
    Miles> the Devil.
    Stefan>
    >> --
> Best Regards, --raman
    Stefan>

    >> Email: raman@users.sf.net WWW:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    >> tv.raman.tv@gmail.com PGP:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    >> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs
    Stefan>