* [hkBst@gentoo.org: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize]
@ 2007-08-26 22:47 Richard Stallman
       [not found] ` <874pikk71e.fsf@stupidchicken.com>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-26 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Can someone please DTRT and ack?

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:08:17 +0200
From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@gentoo.org>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize

* Re: [hkBst@gentoo.org: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize]
       [not found] ` <874pikk71e.fsf@stupidchicken.com>
@ 2007-08-29 23:54   ` Bob Rogers
From: Bob Rogers @ 2007-08-29 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: rms, emacs-devel

   From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
   Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:21:33 -0400

   > From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@gentoo.org>
   > Subject: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize
   >
   > under KDE when maximizing an emacs window (with the square) the
   > window will resize to almost fullscreen size instead of really going to
   > fullscreen. This also makes it impossible to go back from fullscreen size to
   > small size with a single click.

   I can't reproduce this in the Gnome window manager in either the
   branch or the trunk.  Is anyone on this list using KDE?

I am seeing the first half of this in KDE 3.1.4 (Gnu/Linux, SuSE 9.0).
When I maximize, there is a thin sliver of root window at the right
margin, but not at the other margins.  But when I click the "maximize"
button again, the frame goes immediately back to its original size.

   But 3.1.4 is rather old; I can try a newer version tomorrow.  Maybe
they have a bug that got worse in later versions . . .

					-- Bob Rogers
					   http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/

* Re: [hkBst@gentoo.org: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize]
@ 2007-08-30  5:53     ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2007-08-30  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Rogers; +Cc: Chong Yidong, rms, emacs-devel

Bob Rogers <rogers-emacs@rgrjr.dyndns.org> writes:
>    From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
>    Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:21:33 -0400
>
>    > From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@gentoo.org>
>    > Subject: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize
>    >
>    > under KDE when maximizing an emacs window (with the square) the
>    > window will resize to almost fullscreen size instead of really going to
>    > fullscreen. This also makes it impossible to go back from fullscreen size to
>    > small size with a single click.
>
>    I can't reproduce this in the Gnome window manager in either the
>    branch or the trunk.  Is anyone on this list using KDE?
>
> I am seeing the first half of this in KDE 3.1.4 (Gnu/Linux, SuSE 9.0).
> When I maximize, there is a thin sliver of root window at the right
> margin, but not at the other margins.  But when I click the "maximize"
> button again, the frame goes immediately back to its original size.

This sounds like KDE does what the ICCCM says it should, and obeys the
ResizeInc hints Emacs sets on its windows.  I know Metacity explicitly
don't obey them.

--
If animal trapped call 410-844-6286

* Re: [hkBst@gentoo.org: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize]
@ 2007-08-30  8:01     ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2007-08-30  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:54:42 -0400 Bob Rogers <rogers-emacs@rgrjr.dyndns.org> wrote:

>    From: Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com>
>    Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 17:21:33 -0400
>
>    > From: "Marijn Schouten (hkBst)" <hkBst@gentoo.org>
>    > Subject: maximize resizes to large size, but doesn't really maximize
>    >
>    > under KDE when maximizing an emacs window (with the square) the
>    > window will resize to almost fullscreen size instead of really
>    > going to fullscreen. This also makes it impossible to go back
>    > from fullscreen size to small size with a single click.
>
>    I can't reproduce this in the Gnome window manager in either the
>    branch or the trunk.  Is anyone on this list using KDE?
>
> I am seeing the first half of this in KDE 3.1.4 (Gnu/Linux, SuSE 9.0).
> When I maximize, there is a thin sliver of root window at the right
> margin, but not at the other margins.  But when I click the "maximize"
> button again, the frame goes immediately back to its original size.
>
>    But 3.1.4 is rather old; I can try a newer version tomorrow.  Maybe
> they have a bug that got worse in later versions . . .

I reported this bug some time ago (see
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2005-05/msg00325.html).
I have continued to observe it since then, currently with GNU Emacs
22.1.50.11 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6) of 2007-08-24 on
escher and KDE 3.5.7 (openSUSE 10.2).  The current behavior is a bit
different and seems to depend on the type of maximization and also
perhaps on the font.  I can provide details if someone's interested.

Steve Berman