* vc-dired doesn't contact server (was Re: Adding 2006. + VC/PCL-CVS)
@ 2006-02-15 23:34 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2006-02-15 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Following Stefan's point:

 > Probably vc-directory does something similar to cvs-quickdir (i.e. it
 > doesn't contact the repository).

I tried vc-directory on a file that I had changed:

nickrob/24 cvs status ChangeLog
Enter passphrase for key '/home/nickrob/.ssh/id_rsa':
File: ChangeLog         Status: Needs Merge

   Working revision:    1.9144
   Repository revision: 1.9146  /sources/emacs/emacs/lisp/ChangeLog,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      (none)

and got:

  /home/nickrob/emacs/lisp:

  -rw-r--r-- (modified) Feb 16 08:58 ChangeLog

but had expected:

  /home/nickrob/emacs/lisp:

  -rw-r--r-- (merge) Feb 16 08:58 ChangeLog

vc-cvs-repository-hostname gave "cvs.savannah.gnu.org" for that directory and
I was connected to the internet at the time, but I know it wasn't contacted
because I wasn't prompted for a password.

Is there a variable that makes vc contact the server?

* Re: vc-dired doesn't contact server (was Re: Adding 2006. + VC/PCL-CVS)
@ 2006-02-16 11:06 ` Andre Spiegel
From: Andre Spiegel @ 2006-02-16 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 12:34 +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:

> Is there a variable that makes vc contact the server?

Yes, it's called vc-stay-local.  Set it to nil and VC contacts the
repository for operations such as vc-directory.  This tends to be rather
slow, so setting that variable to t is usually preferred.  If the state
of the file in the repository is different than what the local
heuristics suggest, you'll be notified of that at checkin time anyway.

See the doc string of vc-stay-local; you can set it up so that it stays
local only for certain repositories.  You can also set it
backend-specific by using vc-BACKEND-stay-local.

* Re: vc-dired doesn't contact server (was Re: Adding 2006. + VC/PCL-CVS)
@ 2006-02-16 20:11   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2006-02-16 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

 > > Is there a variable that makes vc contact the server?
 >
 > Yes, it's called vc-stay-local.  Set it to nil and VC contacts the
 > repository for operations such as vc-directory.  This tends to be rather
 > slow, so setting that variable to t is usually preferred.  If the state
 > of the file in the repository is different than what the local
 > heuristics suggest, you'll be notified of that at checkin time anyway.
 >
 > See the doc string of vc-stay-local; you can set it up so that it stays
 > local only for certain repositories.  You can also set it
 > backend-specific by using vc-BACKEND-stay-local.

Thanks.  That's very clear, but as vc-stay-local isn't mentioned in the manual
and it affects behaviour of VC in a fundamental way, how about the patch below
(based on your wording)?

*** files.texi	14 Feb 2006 10:13:52 +1300	1.132
--- files.texi	17 Feb 2006 09:06:32 +1300
*************** The files @samp{file1} and @samp{file2}
*** 1963,1968 ****
--- 1963,1979 ----
  have also been checked in to the repository---you need to merge them
  with the work file before you can check it in.

+ @vindex vc-stay-local
+ The variable @code{vc-stay-local} is nil in the example above which
+ means VC contacts the repository.  This tends to be rather
+ slow, so setting that variable to t is the default.  If the state
+ of the file in the repository is different than what the local
+ heuristics suggest, you'll be notified of that at checkin time anyway.
+
+ You can also set it up so that it stays local only for certain
+ repositories and in a backend-specific way by using
+ @code{vc-@var{backend}-stay-local}.
+
  @vindex vc-directory-exclusion-list
    When VC Dired displays subdirectories (in the ``full'' display mode),
  it omits some that should never contain any files under version control.