* W32 question - hide/show system caret
@ 2003-03-19 23:45 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-03-19 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

During my merging of X/W32/MAC I found what I think is sub-optimal code:

In w32term.c, the system caret is hidden and shown in the hooks
x_update_window_begin and x_update_window_end, i.e. once for each
updated emacs window.

Wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient to move the hide/show into
x_update_begin and x_update_end, i.e. only once for each updated emacs
frame ?

* Re: W32 question - hide/show system caret
@ 2003-03-20  9:03 ` Jason Rumney
       [not found]   ` <m3d6kcmkuy.fsf@ccs.covici.com>
From: Jason Rumney @ 2003-03-20  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> During my merging of X/W32/MAC I found what I think is sub-optimal code:
>
> In w32term.c, the system caret is hidden and shown in the hooks
> x_update_window_begin and x_update_window_end, i.e. once for each
> updated emacs window.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient to move the hide/show into
> x_update_begin and x_update_end, i.e. only once for each updated emacs
> frame ?

Yes, probably. It will need testing with screen reader software
though. Are there still people on this list that can test this if Kim
or me make this change?

* Re: W32 question - hide/show system caret
@ 2003-03-28  2:56   ` John Covici
       [not found]   ` <m3d6kcmkuy.fsf@ccs.covici.com>
From: John Covici @ 2003-03-28  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am still here although behind in the list -- I can test such a
thing, but I cannot compile the latest version (03/27/03), I get the
following error.

) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

	"d:\emacs\leim/../src/obj-spd/i386/emacs.exe" -batch --no-init-file --no-site-file --multibyte -l d:/emacs/leim/../lisp/international/titdic-cnv  --eval "(batch-titdic-convert t)"  -dir quail ./CXTERM-DIC
Converting all tit files in the directory d:/emacs/leim/CXTERM-DIC
Converting d:/emacs/leim/CXTERM-DIC/4Corner.tit to quail-package...
Invalid ENCODE: value in TIT dictionary
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"d:\emacs\leim/../src/obj-spd/i386/emacs.exe"' : return code '0xffffffff'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin\NMAKE.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Thanks.

on 20 Mar 2003 09:03:00 +0000 Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org> wrote:

> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>
>> During my merging of X/W32/MAC I found what I think is sub-optimal code:
>>
>> In w32term.c, the system caret is hidden and shown in the hooks
>> x_update_window_begin and x_update_window_end, i.e. once for each
>> updated emacs window.
>>
>> Wouldn't it be simpler and more efficient to move the hide/show into
>> x_update_begin and x_update_end, i.e. only once for each updated emacs
>> frame ?
>
> Yes, probably. It will need testing with screen reader software
> though. Are there still people on this list that can test this if Kim
> or me make this change?

         John Covici
         covici@ccs.covici.com

* Re: W32 question - hide/show system caret
       [not found]     ` <m2llyzgaik.fsf@nyaumo.jasonr.f2s.com>
@ 2003-03-28  9:31       ` John covici
From: John covici @ 2003-03-28  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yup, that did it -- thanks.

I thought I'd let you know, that there is a problem with the make
files for the w32 port, they wind up with carriage returns at the
ends of some of the lines and there are no line feeds after them -- I
think they come from the *.w32-in files.  Anyway they confuse the
Microsoft nmake and it doesn't work unless you take them out.

But the cursor is still there -- that is the main thing.

on  03/28/2003 Jason Rumney(jasonr@gnu.org) wrote

--
         John Covici
         covici@ccs.covici.com