I realize Eli is a Emacs-vetaran and his opinion holds a lot of weight here. That said.... > When a selection is active, why would anyone assume that typing an > arbitrary letter is supposed to replace the entire selection, or to > disable it? Because that's what users expect after this having been the default interaction model for all applications for more than 3 decades. I realize Emacs is older than that, but trying to pretend that the outside world haven't established a set of conventions people have come to expect is pretty much being the ostrich sticking your head in the sand. Adhering to the conventions the user expect is user-friendly. We should do that by default when it doesn't introduce needless complexity (like arguably enabling cua-mode would). That still leaves the option for power users, like yourself, to customize the behaviour in non-conventional ways which you find powerful. I mean... I -love- paredit. It's amazing. But it clearly should not be the *default* for editing LISP files, unless we want to throw new-comers away before they've managed to say hello. All in all, I vote for this change. -- Regards Jostein Kjønigsen jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com https://jostein.kjonigsen.net On Fri, Sep 7, 2018, at 7:08 PM, Robert Pluim wrote: > Drew Adams writes: > >>> I wasn't picking a side, nor do I think we should pick one for >>> anyone>>> else. >> >> It's about the choice of a __default__ behavior. Currently one >> particular>> choice was made. It's possible to choose a different one instead. In>> any case the choice of the default behavior picks the behavior for >> everyone - but only the default behavior. > > Right. I meant that I donʼt think we should change the default > behaviour, but I won't scream if we do since I can always put it back.>