On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, at 4:06 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: >>>>> I just tested the construction of a GNU ELPA package for CC- >>>>> mode using>>> the :core thingy of elpa.git and everything looks >>>>> good.>>>> Who's going to be testing this? I've a slight suspicion that >>>> sometimes>> people add things to CC Mode that depend on things in >>>> sometimes>> master.>>>> That would>> be subotimal for ELPA. >>> This has not proved to be a problem for other packages we handle >>> this> way>>> (e.g. soap-client, python.el, ...). >>> One of the reasons is that it's so cheap&quick to release a new >>> version> that such problems are trivial to solve if/when they show >>> version> up.>> >> cc-mode is not only used inside core Emacs, but also by third party >> developers. > [...] > > I'm not suggesting to remove CC-mode from Emacs. Only to > **additionally**> distribute it via GNU ELPA. > > > Stefan I realize that. I was just pointing out how that can make handling compatibility harder than it used to be for packages and major-modes which derives from cc-mode. It seems though, as my suggestion to make this less of a problem (separate versioning for cc-mode accessible through programmatic means, c-version) is already implemented and in place, and as a third- party package author, I can transition to verify against that instead of emacs-version. -- Regards Jostein Kjønigsen jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com https://jostein.kjonigsen.net