* Modifying image-load-path/load-path
@ 2006-02-20 23:11 Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-02-20 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, ding

We (the MH-E and Gnus communities) are working now on sharing as many
icons as possible and incorporating recent GNOME icons into the Emacs
set.

We are also working to replace redundant code for locating our packages'
images and updating image-load-path (load-path in Emacs 21) with a
single function in image.el.

Our question for you is this: should such a function actually modify the
image-load-path (as MH-E does now), or simply return a modified version
of image-load-path for use in a scoped variable copy of image-load-path
(as Gnus does now)?

* Re: Modifying image-load-path/load-path
@ 2006-02-25 23:50 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-02-25 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, ding

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> We are also working to replace redundant code for locating our packages'
> images and updating image-load-path (load-path in Emacs 21) with a
> single function in image.el.
>
> Our question for you is this: should such a function actually modify the
> image-load-path (as MH-E does now), or simply return a modified version
> of image-load-path for use in a scoped variable copy of image-load-path
> (as Gnus does now)?

IMO, using a scoped copy is cleaner.  Is there any reason to modify
the image-load-path permanently?

* Re: Modifying image-load-path/load-path
@ 2006-02-26  1:52   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-02-26  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel, mh-e-devel, ding

Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
> > We are also working to replace redundant code for locating our packages'
> > images and updating image-load-path (load-path in Emacs 21) with a
> > single function in image.el.
> >
> > Our question for you is this: should such a function actually modify the
> > image-load-path (as MH-E does now), or simply return a modified version
> > of image-load-path for use in a scoped variable copy of image-load-path
> > (as Gnus does now)?
>
> IMO, using a scoped copy is cleaner.  Is there any reason to modify
> the image-load-path permanently?

The same reason that *any* directory is in image-load-path, I suppose.

If MH-E is run within CVS Emacs, then the MH-E user sees MH-E images on
image-load-path. If the user then ran the MH-E package outside of CVS
Emacs, then wouldn't it be strange if suddenly, the MH-E images were no
longer on the image-load-path?

* Re: Modifying image-load-path/load-path
@ 2006-03-10 23:09   ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-03-10 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mh-e-devel, ding

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
>> We are also working to replace redundant code for locating our packages'
>> images and updating image-load-path (load-path in Emacs 21) with a
>> single function in image.el.
>>
>> Our question for you is this: should such a function actually modify the
>> image-load-path (as MH-E does now), or simply return a modified version
>> of image-load-path for use in a scoped variable copy of image-load-path
>> (as Gnus does now)?
>
> IMO, using a scoped copy is cleaner.  Is there any reason to modify
> the image-load-path permanently?

Thanks, Chong. I'm surprised you were the only one who replied. Since
both you and the Gnus project leaned towards a scoped variable, I took
that approach and checked in image-load-path-for-library just now.

Reiner, if you haven't done so already, it would be good to
deprecate/replace calls to mm-image-load-path and possibly
nnheader-find-etc-directory too.