As a (part time) Windows-user I'd very much appreciate this. Like I've mentioned earlier on this mailing-list, I have some custom scripts I use to manually assemble a new release when it's available, but even then it's so much of a hastle that I can't always be bothered. Having an installer which makes this a next-next-next process would be a great But I'm already on the train. Where this would clearly be most benefitial is for new Windows/Emacs-users if they could get going in the usual "next next next" Windows-fashion which they're already accustomed to. Feel free to publish some test-installers for the community to try out. -- Vennlig hilsen Jostein Kjønigsen jostein@kjonigsen.net 🍵 jostein@gmail.com https://jostein.kjonigsen.net On Fri, Oct 27, 2017, at 12:11 AM, Phillip Lord wrote: > > I've had a quick play and created an "installer" version of Emacs for> windows. Cheesy and ugly at the moment, but it works. It uses the NSIS> toolkit which is nicely packaged for msys2. > > NSIS is free software, albeit the non GPL compatible CPL > (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/License). I don't believe this is > a problem> as it would only be a packager. I'd welcome more informed > opinion about> whether this is appropriate for Emacs. > > Probably too late to put this onto Emacs-26 now I fear, but it > could be> ready in time for Emacs-27. If any one is interested, I can > uploaded it> to the pre-test website (as the Emacs source is already there). > > As with the new zips I've created, this does raise questions about > release of updates to the binaries. This installer will contain (lots> of) other dependency files. My current plan is to freeze the > dependencies during pre-test. But this means, that these dependencies> will get old during the Emacs release cycle. > > Anyway, thought's welcome. > > Phil >