Hello again! With #21616 and #21798 installed, json.el is now instrumented to make the new json-mode.el able to reach feature parity with Josh's. The latest version can be found at: http://folk.uio.no/simenheg/json-mode.el. It requires at least version 1e363a8e of Emacs to fully work. Now the question on where to put the new json-mode.el remains. I've tried to summarize what I perceive as the pros (+) and cons (-) of putting it into ELPA vs. bundling it with Emacs below. Putting it into ELPA: + Updates may reach the users faster. - json-mode.el will need to support different versions of json.el (which is bundled with Emacs). Bundling it with Emacs: + Somehow I feel that a modern text editor should come with support for editing JSON data out of the box, though that may be because I work in a web development environment. My feeling of this is strengthened by the fact that Josh's JSON mode has been downloaded from MELPA over 40,000 times. - The mode is very young, and currently only used by me. Maybe it's too early to include it in Emacs, and it should be given a chance to ripen at ELPA first. What do you think? -- Simen