* Thanks to those implementing the new GC!
@ 2024-05-03 12:25 Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2024-05-03 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

To Gerd, Eli, Helmut, and anybody else working on the new GC:

Thanks!

The GC we have had over the last few decades is fine and works well, but
it consumes a large part of Emacs's run time (as can be seen on profiler
reports), and causes things expensive on computation to stutter (e.g.
scrolling).

I very much look forward to the new GC, which will be incremental and
take place on a different processor core from most of Emacs, given how
most (?all) modern PCs have several cores.  It will be good to use
these.

Gerd has already posted some impressive benchmarks.  I look forward to a
general speed increase when (hopefully not if) this new feature is
merged into master.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).