* Broken ediff in master (and the bulk lexical scope patches)
@ 2019-06-20 20:55 Barry Fishman
From: Barry Fishman @ 2019-06-20 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

After building from Emacs master on June 15, I found that the ediff
function no longer works, responding with:

ediff-files-internal: Symbol's value as a variable is void: file-A

This seem to be due to lisp/vm/ediff.el being compiled with lexical
bindings (explicitly).  ediff-files-internal calls ediff-find-file with
its file arguments quoted (as it expects).

How is such code going to be approached?

--
Barry Fishman

* Re: Broken ediff in master (and the bulk lexical scope patches)
@ 2019-06-20 21:01 ` Paul Eggert
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Paul Eggert @ 2019-06-20 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Fishman; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 6/20/19 1:55 PM, Barry Fishman wrote:
> After building from Emacs master on June 15, I found that the ediff
> function no longer works

Should be fixed by the 2019-06-18T22:47:49!rgm@gnu.org patch.

* Re: Broken ediff in master (and the bulk lexical scope patches)
@ 2019-06-20 21:10 ` Nicolas Semrau
From: Nicolas Semrau @ 2019-06-20 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
> After building from Emacs master on June 15, I found that the ediff
> function no longer works, responding with:
>
> ediff-files-internal: Symbol's value as a variable is void: file-A
>
> This seem to be due to lisp/vm/ediff.el being compiled with lexical
> bindings (explicitly).  ediff-files-internal calls ediff-find-file with
> its file arguments quoted (as it expects).
>
> How is such code going to be approached?
>
> --
> Barry Fishman

Lexical binding for ediff was disabled on master on the 18th of June.

Kind regards
Nicolas

* Re: Broken ediff in master (and the bulk lexical scope patches)
@ 2019-06-20 21:13 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2019-06-20 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Fishman; +Cc: emacs-devel

Barry Fishman <barry@ecubist.org> writes:

> This seem to be due to lisp/vm/ediff.el being compiled with lexical
> bindings (explicitly).  ediff-files-internal calls ediff-find-file with
> its file arguments quoted (as it expects).

The lexical stuff in ediff was reverted a few days ago:

commit ef23c8be70d2cdc51b7f117ab3b4ad2f16b4ecdc
Author: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Date:   Tue Jun 18 15:47:49 2019 -0700

    Disable lexical-binding in ediff

    Since it breaks the thing (bug#36157, bug#36281).
    * lisp/vc/ediff-diff.el, lisp/vc/ediff-help.el, lisp/vc/ediff-hook.el:
    * lisp/vc/ediff-init.el, lisp/vc/ediff-merg.el, lisp/vc/ediff-mult.el:
    * lisp/vc/ediff-ptch.el, lisp/vc/ediff-vers.el, lisp/vc/ediff-wind.el:
    * lisp/vc/ediff.el: Set lexical-binding to nil.

* Re: Broken ediff in master (and the bulk lexical scope patches)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-06-20 21:17 ` Kaushal Modi
From: Kaushal Modi @ 2019-06-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Barry Fishman; +Cc: Emacs developers