* partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-22 16:12 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-22 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

1. partial completion mode started.

2. M-:

Eval: (n-f <M-TAB>

Select using left mouse button one choice.

* partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-22 16:29 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-22 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

 1. partial completion mode started.

 2. M-:

 Eval: (n-f <M-TAB>

 Select using left mouse button one choice.

Maybe this bug has been already solved by a patch from the date of 10. I did not compiled Emacs yet, as I promised yesterday, in order to check another bug that I reported.

I compile it now.

* Re: partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-22 16:48 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-22 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

 1. partial completion mode started.

 2. M-:

 Eval: (n-f <M-TAB>

 Select using left mouse button one choice.

Maybe this bug has been already solved by a patch from the date of 10. I did not compiled Emacs yet, as I promised yesterday, in order to check another bug that I reported.

I compile it now.
####################################

I recompiled it 1 minute ago and this is still a bug.

* Re: partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-22 21:56 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-03-22 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

A Soare wrote:

>  1. partial completion mode started.
>
>  2. M-:
>
>  Eval: (n-f <M-TAB>
>
>  Select using left mouse button one choice.

This bug report is still somewhat vague, but I see your point.

Please test how the following patch affects partial completion in
general.

*** complete.el	21 Mar 2007 19:23:12 -0000	1.67
--- complete.el	22 Mar 2007 21:53:28 -0000
***************
*** 743,755 ****
  			(and completion-auto-help
  			     (eq last-command this-command))
  			(eq mode 'help))
  		    (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Completions*"
  		      (display-completion-list (sort helpposs 'string-lessp))
  		      (with-current-buffer standard-output
  			;; Record which part of the buffer we are completing
  			;; so that choosing a completion from the list
  			;; knows how much old text to replace.
! 			(setq completion-base-size dirlength)))
  		  (PC-temp-minibuffer-message " [Next char not unique]"))
  		nil)))))

--- 743,758 ----
  			(and completion-auto-help
  			     (eq last-command this-command))
  			(eq mode 'help))
+                     (let ((width (minibuffer-prompt-width)))
                      (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Completions*"
                        (display-completion-list (sort helpposs 'string-lessp))
                        (with-current-buffer standard-output
                          ;; Record which part of the buffer we are completing
                          ;; so that choosing a completion from the list
                          ;; knows how much old text to replace.
!                         (setq completion-base-size (if dirname
!                                                        dirlength
!                                                      (- beg 1 width))))))
  		  (PC-temp-minibuffer-message " [Next char not unique]"))
  		nil)))))

***************
*** 799,804 ****
--- 802,808 ----
  	       (setq quit-flag nil
  		     unread-command-events '(7))))))))

+ (defvar PC-lisp-complete-end nil)

  (defun PC-lisp-complete-symbol ()
    "Perform completion on Lisp symbol preceding point.
***************
*** 825,831 ****
  			(or (boundp sym) (fboundp sym)
  			    (symbol-plist sym))))))
  	 (PC-not-minibuffer t))
!     (PC-do-completion nil beg end)))

  (defun PC-complete-as-file-name ()
     "Perform completion on file names preceding point.
--- 829,838 ----
  			(or (boundp sym) (fboundp sym)
  			    (symbol-plist sym))))))
  	 (PC-not-minibuffer t))
!     (if (equal last-command 'PC-lisp-complete-symbol)
!         (PC-do-completion nil beg PC-lisp-complete-end)
!       (setq PC-lisp-complete-end (point-marker))

@ 2007-03-23 10:15 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-23 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> >  1. partial completion mode started.
> >
> >  2. M-:
> >
> >  Eval: (n-f <M-TAB>
> >
> >  Select using left mouse button one choice.
>
> This bug report is still somewhat vague, but I see your point.
>
> Please test how the following patch affects partial completion in
> general.

Good. Today I will test it.

Thanks.

* Re: partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-23 12:57 A Soare
From: A Soare @ 2007-03-23 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> >  1. partial completion mode started.
> >
> >  2. M-:
> >
> >  Eval: (n-f <M-TAB>
> >
> >  Select using left mouse button one choice.
>
> This bug report is still somewhat vague, but I see your point.
>
> Please test how the following patch affects partial completion in
> general.
>

> *** complete.el	21 Mar 2007 19:23:12 -0000	1.67
> --- complete.el	22 Mar 2007 21:53:28 -0000
> ***************
> *** 743,755 ****
>   			(and completion-auto-help
>   			     (eq last-command this-command))
>   			(eq mode 'help))
>   		    (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Completions*"
>   		      (display-completion-list (sort helpposs 'string-lessp))
>   		      (with-current-buffer standard-output
>   			;; Record which part of the buffer we are completing
>   			;; so that choosing a completion from the list
>   			;; knows how much old text to replace.
> ! 			(setq completion-base-size dirlength)))
>   		  (PC-temp-minibuffer-message " [Next char not unique]"))
>   		nil)))))
>
> --- 743,758 ----
>   			(and completion-auto-help
>   			     (eq last-command this-command))
>   			(eq mode 'help))
> +                     (let ((width (minibuffer-prompt-width)))
>                       (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Completions*"
>                         (display-completion-list (sort helpposs 'string-lessp))
>                         (with-current-buffer standard-output
>                           ;; Record which part of the buffer we are completing
>                           ;; so that choosing a completion from the list
>                           ;; knows how much old text to replace.
> !                         (setq completion-base-size (if dirname
> !                                                        dirlength
> !                                                      (- beg 1 width))))))
>   		  (PC-temp-minibuffer-message " [Next char not unique]"))
>   		nil)))))
>
> ***************
> *** 799,804 ****
> --- 802,808 ----
>   	       (setq quit-flag nil
>   		     unread-command-events '(7))))))))
>
> + (defvar PC-lisp-complete-end nil)
>
>   (defun PC-lisp-complete-symbol ()
>     "Perform completion on Lisp symbol preceding point.
> ***************
> *** 825,831 ****
>   			(or (boundp sym) (fboundp sym)
>   			    (symbol-plist sym))))))
>   	 (PC-not-minibuffer t))
> !     (PC-do-completion nil beg end)))
>
>   (defun PC-complete-as-file-name ()
>      "Perform completion on file names preceding point.
> --- 829,838 ----
>   			(or (boundp sym) (fboundp sym)
>   			    (symbol-plist sym))))))
>   	 (PC-not-minibuffer t))
> !     (if (equal last-command 'PC-lisp-complete-symbol)
> !         (PC-do-completion nil beg PC-lisp-complete-end)
> !       (setq PC-lisp-complete-end (point-marker))
> !       (PC-do-completion nil beg end))))
>
>   (defun PC-complete-as-file-name ()
>      "Perform completion on file names preceding point.

I have just installed to me and checked this patch on a few examples, and it works well for them.

So it seems to be good for the bug reported.

Alin Soare.

* Re: partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-23 16:48   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-03-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: alinsoar, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

> !                                                      (- beg 1 width))))))

The 1 is probably (point-min), so I think it'd be cleaner to use
minibuffer-prompt-end directly rather than 1 + minibuffer-prompt-width.

* Re: partial-completion-mode and mouse selection
@ 2007-03-27  3:16     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2007-03-27  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: alinsoar, Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> The 1 is probably (point-min), so I think it'd be cleaner to use
> minibuffer-prompt-end directly rather than 1 + minibuffer-prompt-width.

Well, I thought the 1 was just a 1 in this case, but on reflection I
see you are right. :)  I installed a version using m-p-end.