* random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-16  3:20 Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-02-16  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have been trying for some time to get emacs cvs compiled on Solaris.

When I get to the stage of make bootstrap where make autoloads is running

in the lisp directory, the bootstrap emacs crashes (segfault) randomly.

It crashes at a different lisp file each time and I even managed to make

it get all the way through by doing:

while ! make EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs compile; do echo 'try

again!'; done

and waiting an hour!

I then had further problems so I bootstrapped the code on a different

(non-solaris) machine.

Now I am getting problems while compiling the quail directory.

I have done a heck of a lot of googling to no avail and before I dig

further into the code I am wondering if anyone here can give me some

tips.

Cheers,

Mark Aufflick.

* random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-16  3:37 Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-02-16  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-16 13:22 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-02-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 2006-02-16 03:37, Mark Aufflick <mark-emacs@aufflick.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been trying for some time to get emacs cvs compiled on Solaris.
>
> When I get to the stage of make bootstrap where make autoloads
> is running in the lisp directory, the bootstrap emacs crashes
> (segfault) randomly.

Are you using CFLAGS that include one of -fast or -xarch=FOO
where FOO enables 64-bit ELF binaries?

I've been building cvs-emacs on Solaris 10 amd64 and sparc, but
only as a 32-bit binary and without -fast.  Enabling either -fast
(on any architecture) or -xarch={amd64,v9a} results in random
crashes here too.

- Giorgos

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-16 18:04 ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2006-02-16 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I hope that someone on the list can help you debug this, but if you
have encountered a system-dependent problem, it is basically up to you
(and others who use Solaris) to fix it.

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-16 23:08   ` Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-02-16 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 2/17/06, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> Are you using CFLAGS that include one of -fast or -xarch=FOO
> where FOO enables 64-bit ELF binaries?
>
> I've been building cvs-emacs on Solaris 10 amd64 and sparc, but
> only as a 32-bit binary and without -fast.  Enabling either -fast
> (on any architecture) or -xarch={amd64,v9a} results in random
> crashes here too.

I'm using gcc, so it would be -mcpu=v9 to force a 64 bit compile. To
check I did:

$ find . -name 'Makefile' |xargs egrep 'v9|mcpu|xarch|v9|fast'

which only matched a few lines relating to make bootfast.

And sure enough:

$ file emacs-22.0.50.1
emacs-22.0.50.1:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1,
dynamically linked, not stripped

So that's not it. But it got me hoping!

Cheers,

Mark.

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-16 23:14     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-02-16 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 2006-02-17 10:08, Mark Aufflick <mark-emacs@aufflick.com> wrote:
>On 2/17/06, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>>
>> Are you using CFLAGS that include one of -fast or -xarch=FOO
>> where FOO enables 64-bit ELF binaries?
>>
>> I've been building cvs-emacs on Solaris 10 amd64 and sparc, but
>> only as a 32-bit binary and without -fast.  Enabling either -fast
>> (on any architecture) or -xarch={amd64,v9a} results in random
>> crashes here too.
>
> I'm using gcc, so it would be -mcpu=v9 to force a 64 bit compile. To
> check I did:
>
> $ find . -name 'Makefile' |xargs egrep 'v9|mcpu|xarch|v9|fast'
>
> which only matched a few lines relating to make bootfast.
>
> And sure enough:
>
> $ file emacs-22.0.50.1
> emacs-22.0.50.1:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1,
> dynamically linked, not stripped
>
> So that's not it. But it got me hoping!

I've been building without HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN too, since a while
back, until I track down why using posix_memalign() has problems
on FreeBSD/amd64.

Can you try running `./configure' as usual, and then manually
setting HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN to:

    /* #undef HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN */

in src/config.h before running ``make bootstrap''?

Stefan Monnier is probably the best person to track this down,
before I manage to learn enough about memory allocation in Emacs,
so if you find that disabling posix_memalign() fixes the build
for you, please let Stefan know (he's already a subscriber to the
list, so Cc:'ing him may be unnecessary).

- Giorgos

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-17  0:52       ` Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-02-17  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 2/17/06, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
> I've been building without HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN too, since a while
> back, until I track down why using posix_memalign() has problems
> on FreeBSD/amd64.
>
> Can you try running `./configure' as usual, and then manually
> setting HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN to:
>
>     /* #undef HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN */
>
> in src/config.h before running ``make bootstrap''?

No luck there either. config.h is auto configured exactly as you show.

I tried explicitly defining it as 1 and also undef-ing it (with a make
clean in between each). With it undefined, I get segfaults. With it
defined, I get the following:

posix_memalign                      alloc.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to temacs

Seems solaris doesn't have posix_memalign anyway?

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-17  0:55         ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2006-02-17  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 2006-02-17 11:52, Mark Aufflick <mark-emacs@aufflick.com> wrote:
>On 2/17/06, Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> I've been building without HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN too, since a while
>> back, until I track down why using posix_memalign() has problems
>> on FreeBSD/amd64.
>>
>> Can you try running `./configure' as usual, and then manually
>> setting HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN to:
>>
>>     /* #undef HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN */
>>
>> in src/config.h before running ``make bootstrap''?
>
> No luck there either. config.h is auto configured exactly as you show.
>
> I tried explicitly defining it as 1 and also undef-ing it (with a make
> clean in between each). With it undefined, I get segfaults. With it
> defined, I get the following:

> posix_memalign                      alloc.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to temacs
>
> Seems solaris doesn't have posix_memalign anyway?

Probably not.  I build snapshot on Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris,
so I may have gotten these mixed up a bit.

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-17  7:14 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-02-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Mark Aufflick" wrote:

> I have been trying for some time to get emacs cvs compiled on Solaris.

[subject line says SunOS 5.8]

This helps you not one jot, but for the record I just now checked a
fresh copy out of cvs on SunOS 5.8, ran `configure' (no args) and
`make bootstrap', and It Just Worked.

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-17  7:50   ` Mark Aufflick
From: Mark Aufflick @ 2006-02-17  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/17/06, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
> [subject line says SunOS 5.8]
>
> This helps you not one jot, but for the record I just now checked a
> fresh copy out of cvs on SunOS 5.8, ran `configure' (no args) and
> `make bootstrap', and It Just Worked.

For the record Glen, are you using gcc or Sun cc ?

* Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
@ 2006-02-18  0:18     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2006-02-18  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Mark Aufflick wrote:

> For the record Glen, are you using gcc or Sun cc ?

Well, I'll share the details of my compilation if you share yours... ;)

The first time, configure found gcc (3.2.3) and used it by default. I
just now tried again with "configure --without-gcc". This used "cc:
Sun WorkShop 6 update 1 C 5.2 2000/09/11". This also compiled (and
ran) fine, although there are > 1000 warnings of the form:

warning: integer overflow detected: op "<<"
warning: end-of-loop code not reached
warning: argument #1 is incompatible with prototype