From: JD Smith <jdsmith@as.arizona.edu>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: CVS issues
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:42:37 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 12:48 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     With a recent build of CVS Emacs, I've experienced problems relating to
>     the "cvs" command in VC mode.  E.g. C-x v l often results in:
>
>     Process cvs killed
>
> Has there been any progress debugging this?
>
> Since this is not reproducible, I see only two ways to debug it:
>
> * Add code to record some history information that you could
> look at after a failure.
>
> * Try building checkouts from various dates, hoping thus to determine
> which change caused the problem.
>
> You recall approximately when you made a build that did not have this
> problem?

No progress here.  I can only say for certain that 21.X did not show the
problem (i.e., I'd experience the problem, run an old Emacs 21.4 on the
same files, repeat the same commands, and have no problem).  As far as I
know, all versions since then are affected (though I have only
experienced it in the last several months).  I have not successfully
reproduced it with Emacs from CVS since I reported it.

The one potential silver lining is it seems to depend somehow on the
session, such that once a cvs command fails, it is likely to fail again
in that same Emacs session.  This may in fact result from persistent
external conditions, like the difficulty of SSH to connect to a CVS
server, etc.  If I encounter it again, I'll leave that session running
and then we can consider how best to get to the bottom of it.